1 ton dually?

perce111

Founding Member
Feb 29, 2000
Bellingham, WA
Just picked up an E350 dually.
Why do they change the front rotors and wheels when attached to a dually rear end?
The std front wheel and single rear tires are rated for the same load.
How about changing the front over to a more conventional wheel rotor/wheel combination and a super single rear tire?
May be a dumb question but an inquiring mind needs to know.
My E350 has been converted to a 5th wheel tow rig and will probably never tow more than a 9,000 lb 5th wheel camping trailer.

Later :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

I have an E-350 super duty van that I use to tow the Lightning with. One day I asked a buddy of mine, why the F-350 dually and the E350 dually (like shuttle busses) have the large style front wheel setup. He said it's just so you can swap all the wheels to any axle. The front load rating is the same with either wheel setup. However the rear load rating is different with the dual rear wheels. The suspension handles the same weight, but the extra wheel on each side cuts the tire load in half, so with the dually rear you have more load over the single rear wheel like my van.

OK, kind of what I thought.
Since I can't leave well enough alone I will probably swap out the front spindles for the more conventional type that I can get a decent wheel for and convert the rears to super singles.
If I thought that I could get away with it [wife] I would probably try to lower it some.....heck I'm not going to haul rocks or CS with it anyway.

Thanx guys I get a picture so you can see. It aint a stang but what the heck.

I will, at least for the immediate future.
The rig needs a complete interior redo and from the gauges that didn't function some electrical upgrading also.
Its not a bad looking unit with the fibreglass + cab addition, lined pickup bed and stick out fenders.
It's definately bigger than my F150 lonbox.
Lots of room for grandkids and large golden lab.
I've already picked up sstl wheel liners to dress it up a bit.