1 wire alt - how to wire it correctly in regard to voltage reg.

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
I took my powermaster alt. to autozone to have it checked since it's not charging; it's fine. He was telling me how it'll work fine, but you have to bypass the voltage regulator correctly. My question is...where is the voltage regulator? Is it that little box w/ the green/white whire on the starter relay? What's the best way to wire this thing correctly so it'll charge my battery?

Anyone have a step-by step for this process? Thanks in advance...and I did multiple searches without any concrete results...

• Sponsors (?)

well i have a one wire powermaster also now if yours is like mine it has to rev past a certain rpm for it to kick on mine was 1500 rpms i beleive. as for bypassing anything i did not have to do any of that.

I tested the resistance of my wire and got 0, so the wire SHOULD be cool...that being said, I had my alt. tested and it's fine...so that should be cool. I can hook the alt up, wire not hooked up and test voltage at the alt. from the little stud and it reads 1, so maybe it's not grounded well enough? It does ground on the alt bracket, correct?

If I hook the wire up to the alt and starter solonoid, it reads 13.9x at the alt stud and then 13.8x at the solonoid and battery. The battery it's self w/o the cables on reads 12.8x. I've revved the engine up using the throttle cable under the hood and voltage doesn't change, it actually drops when I rev.

I think i'm gonna pull the alt back off and clean it up to make sure it gets good ground.