1 Wire Alternator love

Ogre67

Founding Member
Apr 15, 2002
Well recently swapped out to a powermaster 100 amp 1 wire and a optima red top and it is great! No more headlights dimming, no more interior lights dimming when stereo hits its just a win win situation.

Wondering tho, im pretty happy with my 100 amp but im trying to think of a situation where a 200 amp would be worthwhile. I mean they do make them and only thing I can think of is if you were running a huge stereo maybe, but then again Jegs sells them and I dont think of them as a car audio place. Just something id like to know.

• Sponsors (?)

Ogre67 said:
Well recently swapped out to a powermaster 100 amp 1 wire and a optima red top and it is great! No more headlights dimming, no more interior lights dimming when stereo hits its just a win win situation.

Wondering tho, im pretty happy with my 100 amp but im trying to think of a situation where a 200 amp would be worthwhile. I mean they do make them and only thing I can think of is if you were running a huge stereo maybe, but then again Jegs sells them and I dont think of them as a car audio place. Just something id like to know.

you could power a city off a 200 amp alternator. I really think that alternators like that are designed for cars running multiple batteries due to a system or tons of electronics. Its way overkill for anything we would ever use in a classic stang

That alternator should be fine. I have a 140 amp Powermaster with Optima Yellow Top... I run three 1000 watt amps and tons of electronics, without a blip..

If you add large amps, I recommend you put a capacitor or two in the loop. That will take alot of strain off your battery and alternator.

Simply add up all the maximum Amp draw from all of your accessories to determine the maximum need. 100 amp should be plenty for ignition, halogens, radio, A/C, etc. If you are going to run multiple hi-power amps, you may still be OK depending on the power draw.

Also check the dyno sheet that comes with the Powermaster. My 140 amp dynoed at 164 amps at maximum RPM.

-Chuck