10-1 331 Stroker, what plugs and timing?

FeTTstang

Nov 21, 2006
Hey everyone. I have a 95 5-speed with a 331 stroker with 10-1 compression with GT40P heads and TFS intake and cam. I have NGK TR4 plugs and I cant get it timed right. They are the coldest plugs that NGK has for the 302. I have tried every timing setting from 8-14 and it pings at no matter what I have it set at. I have also tried one step hotter plugs earlier and it still pinged. What plugs should I use for this motor? I dont care what brand and I don't want fancy platinum ones either. Any help would be great. Also if anyone knows how they rate plug temps, let me know. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I am using platinum plugs in my 331 and compression is 10.3:1 on cast iron windsor jr. heads with 92 octane and I don't get any spark knock.

My base timing is set at 15° and the thing pulls hard. Are you throwing a code? The O2 sensors should keep the cylinders wet enough on these motors that your compression ratio should not be a problem.

Does that distributor have a steel gear? The roller cams are steel and not cast iron... If your dizzy has a cast gear that would be a problem.

However the pinging is probably related to the tune... If you haven't I would scan the codes because not all codes will trigger the CEL.

Codes do matter.

When the o2 sensors are reading conditions that are too lean/too rich they throw codes. When the coolant temp/intake air temp sensors are providing unusual readings they throw codes. This is a MAF car, does it have a K&N filter? Too often people overoil their filters, oil gets all over the MAF leads, and that -will- cause your car to run lean untill you fix it, nomatter what else you do. You can clean the leads with brake cleaner, but make sure that the MAF has been unplugged for atleast 10 minutes first, to be sure the elements are cool so they don't pop when you spray them.

The dizzy shouldn't matter with pinging, but i don't think those are a matched gear type between the cam and the dizzy and I wouldn't run that dizzy in there, something's going to be chewed up.

You're changing plugs alot but you havn't told us the plugs look like, do a google search on reading plugs, get a maginfying glass, and tell us how they read.

if at all possible get a sniffer on it and find out what your a/f is.

Essentially right now you're guessing, you could get lucky and find something that stops the pinging. But you'll still have no clue if you have a decent tune or not. You can have a car that's short 50hp worth of tune that seems to run just fine.

Good luck :flag:

Total timing would be what the timing is at when the spout connector is plugged in. I assume you are disconnecting that when you set your timing, and then plugging it back in after it's set. When you do plug it back in, the timing will advance alot, what does it advance to?