10.5" Rims with 335/35/17

I've seen a lot of people running 10.5" Cobra R's with 6.63" backspacing and a 315/35/17 tire. I assume the quad shock must be removed to do so. I figure if I'm going that far I might as well put a 335/35/17 on there. Does anyone know if this will fit? If not, what becomes the clearance issue.

• Sponsors (?)

well the 315/35/r17 clears my quadshocks, i had to modify the wheel well, though. had to hammer the inner part inwards as the tire would rub on sharp turns/bumps. i imagine w/ a 335/35/r17 that problem would be amplified, plus you'd probably have to flip the quadshocks, due to the extra width.

Depending on what brand tire you go with, I would think 335's are just a little too wide for 10.5" rims. My goodyear 315's are 12" wide and my 10.5" rims are 11" wide from outside edge to outside edge.

Ram000 said:
well the 315/35/r17 clears my quadshocks, i had to modify the wheel well, though. had to hammer the inner part inwards as the tire would rub on sharp turns/bumps. i imagine w/ a 335/35/r17 that problem would be amplified, plus you'd probably have to flip the quadshocks, due to the extra width.
ditto. except for the quads. i had to flip mine to fit the wheels/tires (most likely because i am on eibach sportlines am .5".75" lower). with 335's you will definitely have rubbing issues.

Killercanary said:
I didn't have to modify or remove anything to run my 315's.

Who makes a 335-35-17 tire, I've never seen them.

Michelin and Pirelli make 335 tires for the Viper and Saleen, respectively. For the sake of rationale though, The viper wheel is 17x13, not 10.5". Low 5.0 has a good point.

315's look pretty darn wide across the back of a stang. Can't imagine anything wider. Anyone got pics of something wider?

Considering the extra "footprint" with 315 tires (or wider), are there concerns about wearing out the axles, drivetrain, or other parts quicker than normal? I've heard a couple people suggest elsewhere that all the extra traction can actually put a lot of strain on the car, if you get on it fairly regularly.

I've considered 315 tires with the MM torque arm, panhard bar, and other rear stuff which eliminates the need for upper control arms and quad shocks. Only rubbing issue might be the wheel well lip, from what I gather so far in this post. I've got to call MM sometime and find out if having such a wide tire would ruin the performance of my eventual suspension setup.

Back to my first statement, 335 tires do seem like they'd be too wide on a stang.

Car Nut said:
I've heard a couple people suggest elsewhere that all the extra traction can actually put a lot of strain on the car, if you get on it fairly regularly.

Traction comes primarily from the sidewall of the tire ... and your suspension components. Width of the tire is not as big of a factor as those 2 things. So running a 315/35 doesn't give you "that much" more traction .... that it would screw stuff up. The sidewall is not very thick. I can tell a good increase in traction with mine ... but it ain't close to running slicks or anything.

In other words .... you're right (and they're right) ..... but just by running a 315/35 doesn't mean your traction will increase to that level.