10.5 wheels / exhaust rubbing / clearance issues

kirkyg

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2002
Beaumont, TX
Well i just got my beautiful AFS chrome 17x8(f)/17x10.5(b) rims put on with some 315 nittos on back. The exhaust pipe on occasion would already rub on the bottom of the car when i turn right and hit a bumpy area in the road. Now it does as some say it would rub on the exhaust pipe in the back where the 315 tires are. What are my options? Should i just take it an exhaust shop and have them bend the piping for more clearance or do i need to do more than that?

Does anyone have a picture of the underside of their mustang that shows the tightest areas of clearance that need to be addressed before lowering your car. Id like to take care of all my clearance issues at one time. I plan to drop my mustang front and back about 1''-1.5'' (undecided as of now) but i dont want there to be any rubbing anywhere!

Thanks for any suggestions.

kirkyg

• Sponsors (?)

dont get me wrong your car will drive fine
it will just hit the exhaust pipe on occasion depending on road conditions most likely. Its not like its tearing your exhaust apart or anything. I just want the best clear solution to fix this and to prepare for lowering my vehicle also.

kirkyg

grk_stangsta said:
I also heard that by taking out your quads, it might help, but for the exaust portion i dont know

can you show me a picture of what your talking about?

JLstang351 said:
I just got my 10.5 bullitts w/ 315 nittos and mine fit like a glove. No clearance issues at all! If it matters mine is a 98.

Not sure if there is any different in the pre 98's. Its not so much "clearance" as it is width. There is only 1'' between the tailpipe and the tire. When your turn and hit bumps your car will flex and thats when the tailpipe bumps against the tire. My prochamber bumps the bottom of my car i need have that rebent to add clearance too.

kirkyg

Most of the clearance issues I have heard of are on lowered vehicles with the Bassani exhaust. They use a slightly bigger od than most other companies. If you have that setup you can alway get your exhaust rebent or even better just get some turndows.

No turndowns for me. That just increases drone by about 200%. My car is NOT lowered YET. Im trying to kill two birds with one stone. I've have an exhaust rub since i put my prochamber on. I'm almost certain its near the rear seat part of the chassis on the passenger side. I'm pretty sure that it needs to be reshaped to add clearance.

I do plan to lower my vehicle in the future btw...

kirkyg

big swede said:
Most of the clearance issues I have heard of are on lowered vehicles with the Bassani exhaust. They use a slightly bigger od than most other companies. If you have that setup you can alway get your exhaust rebent or even better just get some turndows.

It doesn't need to be lowered to have problems with the bassani exhaust.