10.7:1 Compression- Good? Bad?

TweekedGT

Jul 22, 2004
Alberta
Hey Stangers!
I just did the PI Head and Intake Swap and I'm running 10.7:1 compression. I know that this is ok if I want to stay naturally aspirated but what happens if I want a blower or turbo? Will my engine crap it's pants? Can I even run low PSI (whats the point) safely? Is there any way of lowering it for a power adder install without having to change the block and bottom end of my motor? Any ideas? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i did the pi headswap on mine and the only "safe" power adder if u want to call it that would be nitrous. u could go with come cometic headgaskets and drop some of the compression. they make different thicknesses for the compression level u want to obtain. i would find out some more info on them. have u ever thought about nitrous? i run the stuff and love it.

I have thought of it but not really seriously! I have heard too many horror stories! No one in person, just internet gossip. Have you had any problems with it? What kind of shot can you use safely, 75, 125, 150? If it works safely I might give it a whirl for track days!

If you want to blow (supercharge) the engine in the future, save up now for a stout short block and build it right. No sense installing a supercharger if you’re only going to run a couple of pounds of boost because you’re afraid to puke the stock block. Plan on spending at least $650.00 to change to a forged piston (I recommend an 18cc dish) for minimum safety and at least $1400.00 to go with pistons and new rods…..and that’s doing the work yourself! Then put the boost to it and have no worries. I’ve heard of stock pistons taking out a ring landing with as little as 5psi, so why chance it?

You should check out the latest issue of MM&FF. They have a whole article on the differences between high and low compression applications for supercharging. The main point I got from it was with lower compression you could increase boost, but with higher compression you can still run low boost and get great power. They also explained which compression would be best for which type of supercharger and why. I would definitely check it out as it would answer your question completely.