10 questions for u guys...

The Fox

Mar 30, 2005
Port Elizabeth
Answer what ya feel like, thanks.

1.Are there any K members that do not need supporting hardware (different suspension, wheel movement, engine movement, etc.)

2.What backspacing should I get when I order my Weld Pro Stars? It's going on a stock 8.8 with 4 lugs.

3.Will I really get stopped in Jersey for not having amber corners.

4.Who sells 3G alternators? I can't find em.

5.Can I replace my 2.3 guage cluster with 5.0 and just fix speedo gear?

6.Do I really have to heat-treat my fiberglass hood before sanding/pinning.

7.Should I paint my car RED or BLACK. Leaning towards... Black.

8.Should I pay the money for the MGW shifter? Seems worth it to me.

9.Are front A-Arms worth anything (for drag) or just for road racing?

10.I don't understand shocks/struts. SOMEONE EXPLAIN!!

Thanks a lot for the passing of knowledge.

Anthony

• Sponsors (?)

The Fox said:
Answer what ya feel like, thanks.

1.Are there any K members that do not need supporting hardware (different suspension, wheel movement, engine movement, etc.) :shrug:

2.What backspacing should I get when I order my Weld Pro Stars? It's going on a stock 8.8 with 4 lugs. :shrug:

3.Will I really get stopped in Jersey for not having amber corners. :shrug: :flag:

4.Who sells 3G alternators? I can't find em. EBAY!!!

5.Can I replace my 2.3 guage cluster with 5.0 and just fix speedo gear? :shrug:

6.Do I really have to heat-treat my fiberglass hood before sanding/pinning. I didn't think so

7.Should I paint my car RED or BLACK. Leaning towards... Black. What color was it orginally? What's your budget?

8.Should I pay the money for the MGW shifter? Seems worth it to me. Personal choice.

9.Are front A-Arms worth anything (for drag) or just for road racing? :shrug:

10.I don't understand shocks/struts. SOMEONE EXPLAIN!! What exactly don't you understand about them??

Thanks a lot for the passing of knowledge.

Anthony

I know, I'm lots of help =)

1. Why are you worried about changing your suspention. You are talking about it in your other questions anyway. Also why would you want a new one without changing suspention.

2. I don't remember but wherever you buy them from will know. It also depends on what size wheel you buy,

3. Depends on the area you are in. Also depends on if the cop wants to stop you he will use that as a reason. They are not dot approved so technically they are illegal.

4. You don't nexessarily need a 3g alternator. You are just looking for a higher amperage one. Like mentioned above PA Performance sells real good ones. Also there is a guy on ebay that is selling ones that will bolt up to our foxes easier and they are only $100

5. Yes you can swap them out. there are 3 different speedos put into 87-93 5.0's 87-88 have the 85 mph speedo, 89 has the 140 speedo and the 90-93 has a different 140 speedo that will only work in those years with the airbag.

6. Some places say yes and some say no. I would put on on and drive with it for a weel or so then take it off and prep it. I don't think it looks that good on there unpainted but i think it is worth it.

7. I would stick with whatever it was origionally. Both red and black looks good on a mustang but changing colors is expensive and time consuming so it is really up to you. The 2 colors are even in my eyes(I have owned both)

8. I think you answered your own question when you said you thought it was worth it.

9. They can shed some weight and also can accomidate coil overs so yes

10. They both generally do the same thing. Our cars use struts up front and shocks out back. I would tell you more but I really don't know either.

Thanks for all the answers. I am now smarter... Really. The car was originally an lx 4cyl auto. The color was grayish something? Looked good.

Now it is black primered GT 5spd and still needing only a rear to finish the conversion. And the 5.0 gauges. Havin no 5.0 badges. No ford. NO LX/GT. Just the grill pny up front.

And about the k-member question. I do want to change my suspension to all drag pieces but I didn't know what most k-members required. I've heard some horror stories about installation but I still want one :)

Oh yeah do the PA Performance ones require cutting like the 3G?

Anthony

PA sells a 150 Amp unit that is a direct replacement. It's a bolt in with no midification to brackets or anything else. You WILL still need to upgrade your power and ground wires to handle the additional load of things like electric fans etc. If your car is pre-87 then you'll need the 2 wire regulated version (or you could run your own stator wire). Here's the link for it: http://www.pa-performance.com/display.asp?sku=3

Any k member except one from a straight six car will fit and work with a V8. You can mix and match any number of brakes, control arms, spindles, struts, etc with stock k members. If you get the aftermarket lightweight K member, you should check with the manufacturer to see what control arms and such you need with it.

I vote red.

The gages should work, except the tach. If it has a selector switch, set it to 8, if not get a v8 tach. There are both kinds out there.

The Fox said:
2.What backspacing should I get when I order my Weld Pro Stars? It's going on a stock 8.8 with 4 lugs.

6.Do I really have to heat-treat my fiberglass hood before sanding/pinning.

#2.) Sorry but you can not get Prostars in 4 lug. They are 5 lug only. If you plan on running Prostars you can do the low buck 5 lug swap (rotors/ranger axles). Do a search and you will find mucho info. 87-93 V8 cars need Lincoln rotor and all other 79-93 cars need Ranger rotors in the front. In the back you need 2 Ranger 7.5" driver sides axles and 2 rear brake drums. It is literally a bolt on conversion.

#6.) Absolutly you must let your hood be fully cured before you seal it and paint it. Other wise you will have all kind of problems with paint quaity later on.