10 second worthy?

ImportEater98 said:
Are there any crate motors that give more believable hp ratings?

Roush crate motors come with a dyno sheet (AND a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty).......but they are WAY expensive.........

http://www.roushparts.com/

342R.jpg

Hey, did anybody notice that the Ford Racing crate motors now have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on them??? :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

All of you that doubt the block will handle that power should look up D.S.S and their Level 20 block, which is a stock block machined with screw in freeze plugs like the old Boss 302 blocks, ect. I don't know about holding 700 HP, But I know it will handle 600+ HP all day without a main girdle.

ImportEater98 said:
.i guess i should just go to an engine builder and ask what a good combo is.

Give Paul Krauss a call at PK Machine in Fitchburg Mass, (978)342-1179. The 351 based stroker will add some weight yes, but will make more torque than a 302 based motor would dream about. My 418 runs on pump gas with box stock parts and a hydro roller. The motor made 581hp and 539ft lb's on Pauls engine dyno. In my 3300lb pig on my second ever run with this motor and last pass of this season the car went [email protected] on drag radials. It has 10.90's in it with the stick if I get some more seat time (my 12th ever pass in 6 years). If I put an auto in it 10.30's to 10.50's are doable.
Paul is a great guy, he's doing an 428cj FE motor for my father right now. He did the machine work and engine dyno on my 418. He has a flow bench, engine dyno, and can do all aspects of the machining, balance and assembly. PM me if you want, I'll give you my # and you can call and ask me more about him if you want. Or just call him and tell him Mike Putnam sent ya. Later.
mike.

I'm with 5.0 train on this one. Going NA, bigger is better.

I say 393 possibly 408 if you keep the revs in check. Much easier to hit 10.90's this way.

Also the rule of thumb is every 100lbs that you remove will net you a .1 reduction in ET.

To aswer your other q?. My 60's suck because of my tight converter. 1.69 is the best it has ever been. 1.71 with open headers 1.69 with full 3 inch h pipe with 2 chamber flows and dumps. That video is what I always do, leave at 1500 with my c4. The tight converter is why my stock axles, torque boxes and control arms still live and work!

ImportEater98 said:
The only place to weigh my car (when its done of course) is at the track, and the scales are only open once a week to the public for a few hours.

Brockton Iron & Steel has a drive on truck scale at the entrance...........they might weigh it for you. Give them a call at 508-586-4640.

I would go with the DSS. I am in the same boat as you, looking for a shortblock. I was originally settling for the d&d but have decided when it's time, I'm getting the DSS 331 pro bullet with the level 20 block. Seems like high quality stuff!

Stang8URMPRT said:
power should look up D.S.S and their Level 20 block, which is a stock block machined with screw in freeze plugs like the old Boss 302 blocks, ect. I don't know about holding 700 HP, But I know it will handle 600+ HP all day without a main girdle.

The boss was 4 bolt main with thicker webbing and beefier mains than a stock 302 block, NO comparison. And a stock 302 may hold 600hp all day, but not for very many of them :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

H.0. Train would you mind giving me a breakdown on you motor? I would like to see what sort of components you are running, so i can see what this motor is going to cost me. When you say box-stock parts you mean stock connecting rods, cast crank etc? I am very interested in going this route, so give me all the information you got. Fitchburg isn't a far cry from my work near framingham, ma so that could be very convenient.

Thanks for the info CETV, i will hit up that place when the car is done. Thanks again guys and keep the info flowing!

-John

When I said box stock I meant heads/intake are out of the box untouched. The motor is 418 cubic inch, TFS "R" heads, super victor intake, 1000cfm demon carb (too big), custom cam (from Pauls guy @ comp) 252/[email protected] 110 ls .576/.576 lift with my pro magnum 1.6 rockers, 1 7/8 long tubes. The block is a 69' that Paul hardblocked up to the water pump and with a probe girdle/canton pan. For the rotating assembly I used eagle 4340 crank/rods along with je pistons,c&a zero gap rings, and H series bearings.
All said and done, with ignition system, fuel system, exhaust system, and every other little thing I forgot along the way the I needed to make it work I would say it cost around $11-$13,000.
If I had the extra money I would have gone with a dart block and gone to around 450 cubic inch :hail2:

Mike.

ImportEater98 said:
Gonna go n/a for sure after the great info i got from members here, and some internet/magazine homework i know i will have to pony up for a Dart block to handle much more ya know? I'd love even a 10.99 all motor. Hopefully where the engine lacks, the suspension will make up.
DropTop, what is your best time with your car? It does seem very close to the mill i will be running in mine.
Thanks Guys, and keep the info coming!

The car runs 11.7 at 117mph with a 1.7 60'

I need bigger injectors, throttle body, MAF, and a dynotune, then I'm looking for 11.3s how I drive it on the street.

5.0 HOtrain said:
The boss was 4 bolt main with thicker webbing and beefier mains than a stock 302 block, NO comparison. And a stock 302 may hold 600hp all day, but not for very many of them :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

The only comparison I made is the screw in freeze plugs which makes a weak point stronger. I have no idea what you're laughing about, just making yourself look like a complete idiot.

Stang8URMPRT said:
All of you that doubt the block will handle that power should look up D.S.S and their Level 20 block, which is a stock block machined with screw in freeze plugs like the old Boss 302 blocks, ect. I don't know about holding 700 HP, But I know it will handle 600+ HP all day without a main girdle.

Maybe I was refering to this post, but I'm going to let it die right here. Post up how much of an idiot I am. Dont really care :shrug:
Mike.