10 x 2" drums

bnichols04

Nov 28, 2005
I have a 65 mustang with a 68 8" rear axle. It didn't have any drums on it when i got it and I don't know if I can get the 10 x 3/8" or the 10 x 2" drums. I would like to get the 2" drums but I don't know if they will fit. Any help would help alot.

• Sponsors (?)

If I ain't mistaken, the Ranger and Fox Stang's rear brakes are interchangable with the early Stang's 8" rear brakes. The Fox's used a 4 hole drum though. The brake backing plate bolt pattern is the same I think. About the only thing I'm not sure of with the Ranger drum vs the 60's Stang drums would be the center hole. A trip to the local parts house will tell you for sure.

swap

The major difference is the backing plates. I used plates from a 67 Fairlane wagon, drums from a late 80's Aerostar, and wheel cylinders from the wagon. Been on there 13 yrs. without a problem, well almost, I just found a leaky wheel cylinder today:rolleyes:

You could try but the plates will most likely hold the drums off the axle surface. I've never really check the difference between the 2" and 1 3/4" plates. I re-read this and realized I mis-read it. I though you were looking for 2.5" rear brakes. That's what I put on my car. It came with the 2" drums.

I installed 10 x 2 1/2 rear brakes on my car, the backing plates have a deeper offset in relation to the axle flange. Installing a 2" wide drum without changing the backing plates would leave you with air space between the inside of the drum and the axle flange. The outer edge of the drum would be touching the backing plate, obviously this is not going to work.

Here is a link to what I did, http://mustangsandmore.com//ubb/RearBrakesbySamGriffith.html

I have a 65 mustang with a 68 8" rear axle. It didn't have any drums on it when i got it and I don't know if I can get the 10 x 3/8" or the 10 x 2" drums. I would like to get the 2" drums but I don't know if they will fit. Any help would help alot.

Mine has these with no issues!

I believe the 2 1/2" wide (Shelby type) require a different back plate.

HistoricMustang