100,000 miles maintnance problems...

CKMustangCobra

Founding Member
Nov 28, 2001
Orlando, FL
Ok, girlfriends car...

Changed:

Spark plugs (Autolites gapped @ .55)
Spark plug wires (some AutoZone 8mm things)
Oil
Coolant
Ait Filter

When I got done changing the ignition stuff, I replaced the wires back in the same spot I got them out of. Started the car and it ran like total ****... obviously sounds like a wrong wire someplace. I looked at the wires closer and I put them back in the SAME EXACT spots that I took the old ones from.
Baffeled, I got online and found the sequence on the coilpack and blah blah blah... I find out that the OLD places where the wires were in the totally wrong place, yet the car ran semi-decent. It grunted and no low-end at all.... but still got up in RPM and ran fine.

I changed all the wires around to where they were supposed to go and the car started and ran just like it did with the old wire placment. WTF? Anyways.... took it for a ride up the street and it ran, all cylinders fired on the correct spot, ran a little smoother, but it felt like more of a dog than before. Feels like there is absolutly NO timing in the thing at all. So I'm reseting the computer now and I hope that will clear it all up.

Any other suggestions!? This is my first time messing with a 3.8L. I have a 4.6DOHC w/ a blower and **** that I mess with most of the time and that's what I'm used to.

You're oil changes are a lot easier than a DOHC though! Easy!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah all the plugs should go on in order except for 5 and 6 are reversed. Make sure those are on correctly. other than that, try the fuel filter, and air filter, maybe clean the Maf. Can't think of why that would happen though???

It's my understanding that the 3.8's are really temperamental towards new plug wires....could possibly give off RFI and throw off the Cam Position sensor. I had the problem after getting bosch wires, swtiched back to factory and it's fine. You may also wanna check to make sure the IAT is in the intake good and firm. Should be located just upstream from the MAF.

Other than that.......dunno