$1000-1500 to spend on Mods...

goldsmjr

May 7, 2005
Hi all,

Below is a list of the current modifications that I have on the 5.0. As you can see the engine is stock other then exhaust and air silencer removal. I would like to increase the power as the suspension has already been taken care of. I am just getting extremely confused/frustrated after searching the archives b/c there are just too many different opinions and options in terms of h/c/i. If someone cant point me in a very CLEAR direction as to which heads cam or intake to buy and where (or something else if that doesn't make sense)....that would be great! If anyone thinks that I should go in another direction that would be great as well. Lastly, I am pretty good at working with cars, but have not done any major engine mods, but have all the tools I would ever need....with that said how hard is it to do some of these modifications?

P.S>>> My goal is to run low 13's easily and not spend all too much money>>>>and have the car back on the road ASAP....
Thanks in advance

91-5.0-GT 90,000 miles
-Steeda Lowering Springs
-BBK rear upper/lower control arms
-Alum Driveshaft
-WC tremec t-5
-3.73's
-Shortshifter
-Cobra 5 Lug conversion + Disc Brakes
-BBK headers, Flowmasters, still have cats
-Thicker Swaybars
-

• Sponsors (?)

your car will be out a week or weekend (depending on your wrenching skills) with a h/c/i swap.. your best bet seems like it be the trick flow kit.. alot of people says its strong.. but then again your going to need a TB and mass air and some other stuff.. i havent done a h/c/i before but my car has it and it pulls like a mother with the e303 and gt40 lol alot of people say trickflow kit is better so.. :shrug:

Just from personal experience, from now on I will always save the little extra money and go supercharger first. You can keep the internals stock until you need to go faster, and you dont seem to run into the weird idle etc. problems.

So I see alot of GT40 heads out there for sale including a few on this site for $400. Would I be able to just swap out the stock heads for these heads w/o any other parts? What kinda gains am I looking at? And what would compliment stock GT40 heads? also....is 400 a good price

goldsmjr said:
So I see alot of GT40 heads out there for sale including a few on this site for $400. Would I be able to just swap out the stock heads for these heads w/o any other parts? What kinda gains am I looking at? And what would compliment stock GT40 heads? also....is 400 a good price
I wouldnt go stock gt-40's!! At least put a 5 angle valve job on them,or get them ported and polished..Add an intake(gt-40 ported by t-moss) a 65mm TB and a new maf!!! Low to mid 13's all day long :nice:

goldsmjr said:

There are some variations you have to be aware of with the 'GT40' heads. The plain GT40 irons and GT40Y and GT40X aluminum heads will bolt on without trouble. GT40P heads require special headers to clear the spark plugs.

That all being said, with the money you are looking to spend, I'd go with some used Eddy Performer RPM or TF Twisted Wedge heads in the $700-$800 range, and pick up a used Eddy performer or TF street heat intake (bigger intakes if it's purely a track car) in the $300 range. Then put in a cam at your earliest convenience, or just do it right away if you have enough cash left. Make sure to figure in things like gaskets, and stud mount roller rockers for your heads right away. You can upgrade your fuel system later if need be.

What? Why has no one mentioned this first...

GEAR!!! You need a GEAR!!! Probally 3.73's, and if your feeling balsy, 4.10's. Don't forget to rebuild the traction-loc unit, easy, cheap, and benificial.
Subframe connectors. They are almost generic now, but I would suggest full length subframes. That is critical to the chassis/suspenson.
TMOSS proted lower intake, 130cfm per runner stock, enough to say he'll open it up similar to Cobra/GT40/Explorer specs, 180-200cfm.
Thumper Heads. GT40's will either cost you more or equal but not perform as well. The P's are good but then your going to have to swap headers. The Thumpers will bolt up w/o any retrofiting or coverting issues. Best idea if you've never done heads before.
Put a new timing chain w/sprockets on but keep the stock cam. Get a timing chain set where you can retard the timing a little if you want a little more top end, then add some 1.7RR's to add extra lift to feed those Thumper heads.
Underdrive pullies: always a bang for the buck mod, but has a few side effects. Like an electric fan.
A MAF and TB would benifit you more down the line after these mods, but lets get the bottlenecks cleared first.

You could just get the gear w/rebuilt T-loc (posi), the subframes, TMOSS intake and Thumper heads and timing chain plus 1.7's in your budget range. That would be a real wake up call!!!!!!!!!

91-5.0-GT 90,000 miles
-Steeda Lowering Springs
-BBK rear upper/lower control arms
-Alum Driveshaft
-WC tremec t-5
-3.73's
-Shortshifter
-Cobra 5 Lug conversion + Disc Brakes
-BBK headers, Flowmasters, still have cats
-Thicker Swaybars

goldsmjr said:
How long do thumper heads take to be ported? This car is my daily driver so it could not be out for all that long.....

Just order them, there is a core charge, which isn't much, when you send the old one's back to him he promptly refunds you. So the down time is the time it takes you to do the job.

I'd personally stay away from the GT40's unless you get the Alum ones. You can get a good set under $1000 of TF twisted heads or Edlebrock performer heads. Again, I would do a cam job while you're at it. If you do go with 3.73's make sure you get the rebuild kit that's extra. 4.10's, I wouldnt' recommend...no first gear practically. 3.73's good all around gear. I would get Heads, cam, and gears if you can squeeze them in. Good Luck!