1000 miles

• Sponsors (?)

I also just passed 1000 miles on the odometer. I have had her 2 weeks to the day. It has been an awesome 1000 miles, too. Who else is passed the 1000 mile mark? Let us know!

-Andy

oil change

1000 miles, time for its first oil change. Best thing you can do for a new car is get the break-in oil, with all the metal filings falling off parts grinding themselves together for the first time, etc, out and fresh oil in.

ltccarndt said:
1000 miles, time for its first oil change. Best thing you can do for a new car is get the break-in oil, with all the metal filings falling off parts grinding themselves together for the first time, etc, out and fresh oil in.

There is no such thing as break-in oil. You have an oil filter to filter out any particles in the oil. There is no need to change your oil @ 1,000 miles.

351CJ said:
There is no such thing as break-in oil. You have an oil filter to filter out any particles in the oil. There is no need to change your oil @ 1,000 miles.
Exactly,,,, I used to do that too till one of my friends that works at the dealership told me it bunch of crap,,, according to Ford the 1st Oil change should be after 5000 miles,,, which I will wait till ,,
I am currently at 712 miles,, owned for 3 weeks,,, and I have a feelin before I hit 1000 my 05 is gonna be winterparked till Spring,,,

925 miles and the windows down with 75 outside in hotlanta.The cool mornings make for some extra HP in the black GT .The ride to the office is oh so SWEET and the weekends are GREAT!!

UNIVERSITYAFS said:
I only have 14k on my car that is 2.5 years old....i guess i should drive it more. it is sitting in the garage w/ acover on it. how pathetic.

Lol University.....I have an '02 also and have just over 5,500....talk about pathetic.... :D
Stored in winters and very rarely drivin in the rain...that is what my beater work truck is for,dont get me wrong,I love to drive it.Cant keep the foot out of the throttle when I do....anyway,'nuff said

RisingForce said:
Exactly,,,, I used to do that too till one of my friends that works at the dealership told me it bunch of crap,,, according to Ford the 1st Oil change should be after 5000 miles,,, which I will wait till ,,
QUOTE]

I don't know about that. On my '01 I changed the oil after 500 miles and there were visible metal particles in the oil. I definately would not wait 5000 miles because it is cheap enough to just change it earlier(at least by 1-2k)

You would be really surprised to see what is suspended i your oil after 500-1000 miles, you should definetly change it. It only costs 20 bucks, after spending 25 g's you would think you'd have more sense.

Yes there will be metal shavings and plenty of dirt. You ever heard that most of the dirt in an engine gets there during assembly. You should also think about having the tranny and rear end drained and refilled...easy to do yourself and that would get the metal out of those cases too. When gears break in they make a mess..........

351CJ said:
Uhhhh Have you ever assembled a new engine? If so, I hope you changed the oil after you first ran it, I would suggest 500 miles or LESS!

I guess on a new car it may be a preferance, but you would be wise to do it!

By the way, the oil filter only filters some of your oil around 20-30%, most of it just bypasses it.

~Matt.

Cook89Notch said:
Uhhhh Have you ever assembled a new engine? If so, I hope you changed the oil after you first ran it, I would suggest 500 miles or LESS!

I guess on a new car it may be a preferance, but you would be wise to do it!

By the way, the oil filter only filters some of your oil around 20-30%, most of it just bypasses it.

~Matt.

I've assembled many engines over the years.

But I would never confuse the engine assembly process in your garage (or mine) with how engines are assembled at Ford's Romeo factory.

I change the oil in a new car pretty much as soon as I drive it off the lot.
Why?
I change it to synthetic oil. I've seen so many studies about how much better it is at preventing startup wear and many, many other benefits. I figure the time when an engine really needs startup protection the most is when it's new and everything is not broken in yet.
Just my $.02...

92MNstanger said:
You would be really surprised to see what is suspended i your oil after 500-1000 miles, you should definetly change it. It only costs 20 bucks, after spending 25 g's you would think you'd have more sense.

Yes there will be metal shavings and plenty of dirt. You ever heard that most of the dirt in an engine gets there during assembly. You should also think about having the tranny and rear end drained and refilled...easy to do yourself and that would get the metal out of those cases too. When gears break in they make a mess..........
dude its not about the 20 bux,,, its about the fact that I feel comfortable going by what I have done with my last 3 cars the past 3 years,,,, I just dont wanna give the dealership or any oil-place the staisfaction of gettin more money from me, just because THEY suggest something that the car doesnt,,,
to me its like if you buy AA batteries for your remote, and the manual says to change it once a year or so, but the sales man at local radioshack recommends doing it every month

IF it was nesseccary to get an oil change within 500-1000 miles on a brand new car, I am sure Ford would definetly mention it in their manual for the car,,, specially if it would harm the car if you didnt change the oil, because THEY would have to fix it on warranty,,,,

:banana: