$1000 - what to do

azerndt

May 5, 2004
I have a stock 98 GT vert that is now a 3rd car that I only drive about 3000 miles a year when the weather is ideal. My wonderful wife gave me $1000 of "mustang money" for our wedding anniversary.

Any advice on what is the best way to spend the money and get the most bang for my buck?

• Sponsors (?)

I do not know what emission laws you have, but you need to mod your exhaust. :nice:

A stainless steel midpipe and catback will prolly set you back a grand and would sound bad a$$.

Congrats on the anniversary.

Also, is it a manual or auto?

If you're not going to go with a stainless exhaust, I wouldn't bother with a cat-back. Just get welded in mufflers if you really want the sound. A mild steel exhaust won't last, and it will be money wasted IMO since the cat-back itself doesn't add much power at all. Go with ONZZ's suggestions, probably the best bang for the buck. You could easily substitute a shifter (assuming it's a manual) and a couple cheap mods for the tires if you won't be seeing track duty.

First off - thanks for all the advice and good words on the anniversary (8 yrs and still going strong). Also, it is an auto not a manual.

Of course, your answers have led to more questions. Advice on the chip - i asked a friend who know more that I about this stuff and he said he thought that Superchips had 3 types for mustangs with varying aggresiveness in the tuning. I went to their website and they had one for 87 octane mustangs, which is what I've always ran in my car.

I don't know is Superchips is the "best" - any opinions are appreciated.

Also, i dropped in on a few threads in here about gears, but don't remember manufactures - opinions appreaciated here as well

Thanks again!

Everybody does it different. Depends upon what you want from your car and how you drive it. If you mostly granny it around with the top down and just want to sound good: :)
1. X-pipe(catted or o/r) ~$500 installed
2. Catback (Stainless) ~$500 installed
Now you sound good.

If you want to get faster: :banana:
1. Gears (FORD) 3.73-4.10 ~$500 installed
2. CAI or other Air silencer removall application $100-200 installed
3. Set of underdrive pulleys $150-200 installed

Of course you can always add a couple things if you are willing and able to get dirty and install the things yourself. :nice:

I sacond the Hypertech power programmer... I think on a GT you'd gain about 15 RWHP and maybe 20 -25 ft./lbs torque... and it's easy to do... not bad for about $300 -$400. I know there are a lot of new companies with chips out there, but I'm a loyal Hypertech customer... never had a problem. :flag:

Take your $1000 dollars and go out and buy the stuff YOU want for the car, instead of what people tell you to buy for it... I am tired of hearing these threads... Sorry for the flame but it's your car, do it up the way you want to.