10th anniversary Cobra brakes on 2001 GT

sixfrost

Sep 16, 2005
A question for brake experts. Something odd with my new brakes, please help me out, may be i am missing something...

Here is the situation: I have put together a brake upgrade: Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Cobra rotors (from ebay) and SVT cobra caliper kit (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6455).

1st thing i wonder about: The front rotors on a 2001 GT are 11.65 correct? New rotors are 13 in. That install went fine - brakes bled and tested. Works fine. Two things seem odd - i am not noticing a dramatic difference in braking! It seems a bit better, but not by much... Is the upgrade not that big? And another thing - the area of the brake pad that is touching the rotor is about 75% of the available rotor area. Is that normal and as expected? Or are my pads smaller then needed?

2nd: New rear rotors were as big as the old FRONT ones, so about 11 in. They didnt fit. Looks like i either need a bracket to mount the calipers or different calipers alltogether. Is that correct? Is the 10th edition Cobra rear brake caliper mount different from a GT? Take a look at this kit http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6455. Was it even worth for me to put the rear one on? I left the stock rotor and put the red caliper on.

Is this WHOLE package as i described it even a good upgrade? I thought i got a good deal on it - for 600 bucks all brand new. Was it worth it?

All the help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

sixfrost said:
A question for brake experts. Something odd with my new brakes, please help me out, may be i am missing something...

Here is the situation: I have put together a brake upgrade: Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Cobra rotors (from ebay) and SVT cobra caliper kit (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6455).

1st thing i wonder about: The front rotors on a 2001 GT are 11.65 correct? New rotors are 13 in. That install went fine - brakes bled and tested. Works fine. Two things seem odd - i am not noticing a dramatic difference in braking! It seems a bit better, but not by much... Is the upgrade not that big? And another thing - the area of the brake pad that is touching the rotor is about 75% of the available rotor area. Is that normal and as expected? Or are my pads smaller then needed?

2nd: New rear rotors were as big as the old FRONT ones, so about 11 in. They didnt fit. Looks like i either need a bracket to mount the calipers or different calipers alltogether. Is that correct? Is the 10th edition Cobra rear brake caliper mount different from a GT? Take a look at this kit http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6455. Was it even worth for me to put the rear one on? I left the stock rotor and put the red caliper on.

Is this WHOLE package as i described it even a good upgrade? I thought i got a good deal on it - for 600 bucks all brand new. Was it worth it?

All the help is very much appreciated!

Thanks
wow, i have the EXACT same front brake setup as you. 13" Brembos from ebay, and 10th ann. red calipers. yeah, i could definitly notice a difference, but it wasnt as much as i had hoped. but i always expect more with every new mod. im starting to think even a s/c wont make me happy:rlaugh: i installed the setup w/ the stock brake lines, then went back a week later ans installed a set of Russel SS lines. i found a huge difference with those. it made the pedal a lot stiffer and more responsive. as for the rear, i would swap out some aftermarket rotors in the cobra size (11"?) along with the new cobra red calipers. i *think* the rear cobra calipers mount differently than the GT calipers. i havent done mine yet, so im not real sure.

Cobra rear rotors are larger that GT rear rotors. The calipers are the exact same between the two, except the mounting bracket that is attached to the axle itself (not the caliper) is longer to fit the larger cobra rotors. Plus the pads are thinner to allow for the larger, vented rotors. FRPP sells a bracket upgrade kit to upgrade rear brakes to cobra spec. If you don't want to do that, then you will need different GT rotors.

DerekStangGT said:
wow, i have the EXACT same front brake setup as you. 13" Brembos from ebay, and 10th ann. red calipers. yeah, i could definitly notice a difference, but it wasnt as much as i had hoped. but i always expect more with every new mod.

Can you do me a favor? Take a look at how much the brake pad is touching the rotor. Is the full area of the roter is covered or about quater inch is untouched?

DerekStangGT said:
i installed the setup w/ the stock brake lines, then went back a week later ans installed a set of Russel SS lines. i found a huge difference with those. it made the pedal a lot stiffer and more responsive.

Where did you get those? Any pics on the website? Did you have any problems with the fittings? I have a set of stainless steel lines as well not sure what brand name - BUT i had a problem with the fit. It leaked

And thanks for the reply!

elite130 said:
Cobra rear rotors are larger that GT rear rotors. The calipers are the exact same between the two, except the mounting bracket that is attached to the axle itself (not the caliper) is longer to fit the larger cobra rotors. Plus the pads are thinner to allow for the larger, vented rotors. FRPP sells a bracket upgrade kit to upgrade rear brakes to cobra spec. If you don't want to do that, then you will need different GT rotors.

Thank you that is the confirmation i was looking to get. Same size calipers, need a bracket to fit it. Let me see if i can get them.

Mossberg said:
I thought the cobra rear calibers were the same as GTs with different rotors. :shrug:

Are you sure? I thought the piston set up was different. I just ordered a set of cobra rear caliers and a bracket kit from gefracing.com thinking that it was a totally different set up. But if the rear calipers are the same as the ones on my GT I will cancel the order on my cobra calipers and just keep the stockers, will save me $175.

flexiclese said:
Are you sure? I thought the piston set up was different. I just ordered a set of cobra rear caliers and a bracket kit from gefracing.com thinking that it was a totally different set up. But if the rear calipers are the same as the ones on my GT I will cancel the order on my cobra calipers and just keep the stockers, will save me $175.

They do list it as an upgrade on FRP.com... buty when i was installing them they looked almost identical. Unless there is an internal piston design difference i am starting to doubt the value of a rear Cobra rotor/caliper upgrade.