11:1+ Compression on Pump gas?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm runnin 11.5:1 on my 347 with 93. I have the MSD retard box so in case if I get some bad gas, I can retard my ignition timing from the drivers seat. It also depends on your altituede. If you are at or near sea level, it may be iffy.

tons of things will be needed to run the 11:1 on pump. Dont "lug" the engine around.. like 1800 rpm in 3rd and mash the gas.. or pull hard up hills in a high gear and low rpm. Or run hot.. blah blah...

I run 11:1 and use a set of gears and rpm ranges to keep the engine from detonating !! My ign timing is at 38* total at 1800 rpm and the Cam is in advanced!! but I drive at 2500-2800 rpm!! I keep the rpm up and the temp down!! ( I add Fuel when I race...) To me... Using that compression ISNT worth the trouble for the few extra HP gained!! drop to 10:1 and beat the mess out of it!! Rocking??

Just me..........................

Thumper

You will not be able to really run 11:1 all the time on pump gas. You will have to pull back the timing and drive very conservatively. You will probably have to avoid hot weather and traffic. I'm saying the same thing as everybody else but I'm attempting to be more practical. If the car is a dedicated toy you might be able to get away with it. Otherwise, I wonder why you'd want a 5.0 that you'd have to limp around town in?