11" pbr set up or cobra set-up? and a set back

BK_CAULEY

it's built for speed not longevity, woman
Dec 26, 2006
Thomasville, ga
For a everyday street car seeing some strip time what difference would it really make. I know asthetically ALOT, well IMO anyways. but as it stands i cant find any cobra brackets anywhere. Ford has them and even at shop cost there $80 a piece. and i will just send my rotors calipers back before i spend that much on the brackets.

So should i wait it out to find some brackets or should i just run the 11" set-up?

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure if it helps much but I bought a pair of anniversary calipers with brackets, pads, and braided lines from buyfordracing.com for $278. Then I got a pair of rotors off of ebay for around $100. Took the GT stuff off this past Sunday and bedded them in today. I wish I had never wasted my time with the GT stuff, the difference is amazing.

Not up front.

Looks aside, the 99-04 gt pbr is a very capable brake setup. It has some serious stopping power and if perfectly fine for street use. The larger cobra rotors allow it to dissipate more heat so its more suited for repeated hard stops such as road racing. The gt brakes are good for a single hard stop, then will require cooling or risk fading. They are more drag race brakes.

They are also cheaper. You can prob pick up calipers, pads, lines and rotors for under $100 these days. Require slight spindle clearancing on the 94-95 spindles

V6 and GT PBR 11" stuff is enough to stop a fox body. I've run these on 3 Fox bodies now and the best set up for us guys who wanna be on a budget. I've run them with hyrdroboost and with a stock booster from a GT V8 fox body. All the cars stopped well. Obviously the two cars that had rear disc to help with the front PBR stuff stopped better than my car with rear drums and PBR.

Cobra stuff is overpriced. It really is. The calipers are very similar and the rotors are a couple inches larger, so what. It's almost triple the price over PBR 11" stuff.

V6 and GT PBR 11" stuff is enough to stop a fox body. I've run these on 3 Fox bodies now and the best set up for us guys who wanna be on a budget. I've run them with hyrdroboost and with a stock booster from a GT V8 fox body. All the cars stopped well. Obviously the two cars that had rear disc to help with the front PBR stuff stopped better than my car with rear drums and PBR.

Cobra stuff is overpriced. It really is. The calipers are very similar and the rotors are a couple inches larger, so what. It's almost triple the price over PBR 11" stuff.

Over priced, but not over rated, the cobras far out perform the GT stuff. If you want budget cobra stuff, order the calipers reman from cardone, order the loaded caliper, once they arrive take your old cores and stuff them in the box (did this with my fox brakes) and send them back, price was 80 a caliper and 60 a rotor

Over priced, but not over rated, the cobras far out perform the GT stuff. If you want budget cobra stuff, order the calipers reman from cardone, order the loaded caliper, once they arrive take your old cores and stuff them in the box (did this with my fox brakes) and send them back, price was 80 a caliper and 60 a rotor

I would have put money that Hack Job stopped better than my 96 Cobra or even my 04 Cobra. Reason being is that it's a lighter car. That's why I always vote for 11" PBR stuff on a fox. It does the job for a fraction of the price. You can paint them up pretty nice to look just as good as a Cobra set up.

Sure putting 13" stuff on a fox will make it stop that much better, but for my 12 1/4 mile passes per year and a lot of messing around on the street, 11" stuff gets me by.

He makes a valid point. The gt stuff is cheap. And it's effective for 90% of the general stang population and you can run 15" and 16" wheels as well.

Anything is better than stock fox crap.

I went cobra for the bling bling value of huge rotors...but yes it stops damn good too

He makes a valid point. The gt stuff is cheap. And it's effective for 90% of the general stang population and you can run 15" and 16" wheels as well.

Anything is better than stock fox crap.

I went cobra for the bling bling value of huge rotors...but yes it stops damn good too

Thanks, 5L5, you do too. 15" and 16" wheels cannot be bolted up to a car with 13" brakes. Many guys like welds and pro-stars, etc. 13" brakes puts those options out if you race your car.

A friend of mine has a Terminator that he races. Runs consistent mid 10's and the first thing he did was ditch his 13" brakes and went with 11" PBR's to run his 17" street wheels and then down to a 15" race wheel.