11 year maintenance list?

PULMEOVR

I need a bigger E-Penis.
Sep 29, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering what things you would replace on my 11 year old Mustang? I'm not talking about fluids, spark plugs etc, but what about suspension bushings? Suspension parts? IE. What will be worn out or should be worn out after 11 years?

The ride of my car is good but feeling a little worn at times. Would changing all the bushings help? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure what you mean by "feeling a little worn at times."

Slop in the steering? Banging and crashing or bottoming in the suspension? Wandering in the lane?

I'd only replace what actually needs replacing. Check things like the rag joint, the lower ball joints, the inner and outer tie rod ends etc. Replace what's loose or worn.

If you suspect suspension arm bushings because of wandering, poor tracking or noises then certainly address those but they're not a common thing to go (at least not factory Ford stuff.)

I just hear some squeaks now and again, plus I notice my steering rack (?) bushings are dried up and not formed to the bar anymore. I figured since those bushings are dried up and deformed, maybe my other bushings were too (although I haven't checked). My car is away for the Winter and I'm unable to look at it (not stored at my house).

Trinity has a good point in that nothing should need replacing unless of course you have play in a component or you have wear / tear.

With that said, I'd put money down that if all rubber bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints and end links were new over night you would notice a tremendous difference. Exception being a low mileage car that hasn't had much of an opportunity to wear.

I think you and I are in just about the same boat, and I can speak from some experience. My car's a 2003 (built in 2002) that just rolled over 110k. Granted, I do a lot of late braking and hard turns, but my bushings were in sorry shape and the shocks and struts were beyond unacceptable. One of my factory calipers had also started to hang up, causing the pad to intermittently grab the rotor. So, I did SR -1.5" springs, sway bars, Tokico shocks and struts, a complete bushing kit and some other suspension tweaks along with new calipers all around with SS lines (with far better pads and rotors). If you're willing to take my word for it, your mind will be BLOWN! Night and day in every way.

Also, never neglect tyres.

I was thinking about that complete bushing kit. I'd probably have it installed by a shop though, so the whole kit with installation is probably around $400. Kinda pricey, but maybe worth it? My springs, shocks & struts are also still good. My brakes are Cobra brakes (front). Forgot to mention, I have 104k kilometers (~65,000 miles) on the car, all Summer mileage.

Any other suggestions? Refreshments for other areas of the car as well?

Thanks!

And to clarify, I was using miles as a unit. At 104,000 kilometres, that thing's just getting warmed up! As far as I can tell, Mustangs last for as long as you keep common sense maintenance up on them since 1994. Do you have an auto? It might be time to do a trans flush, but you probably already know that.

I don't think you necessarily NEED the bushing kit, shocks/struts, springs or any of that jazz if your car still feels satisfying (and SAFE), but boy will you ever be a happy camper if you do. :)

They do seem to last quite awhile if you care for them and don't Winter drive them (The city here uses massive quantities of salt). Oh and I have a 5 speed. All of my maintenance is up to date, but I think I might go for the complete bushing kit. You've convinced me. Thanks!!

Honestly, I don't think the original bushing will make the car feel sloppy, loose or creeky. My 210k mile bushings on my 15 years old car seem to be holding up alright, and yes, I drive the car year round, including salt. However, you would be well served to inspect the tie rod ends, inner tie rods, ball joints and the hubs. I have replaced all of these DUE TO WEAR except the inner tie rods and those are sitting on my bench, waiting for me to get to work. The above components are wear items and will certainly leave the car feeling loose and worn out.

Besides, replacing bushings is a bitch of a job. Don't do it unless you enjoy pain and suffering.

I think you should replace the shocks and struts plus install some MM solid rack bushings and also use a big pry bar to check the other stufff. Sway bar links are cheap and easy... get everything from maximum motorsports...