11psi on stock internals?

• Sponsors (?)

Is it possible? Yes, I'm doing it

Is it a good idea for someone who's 17? Probably not
You'll be looked at around $4000 if not more, complete cost, not including fuel upgrades, ECU tune, etc.
If I were you, I'd hold off on it. I know how I was when I was your age, FOOT ON FLOOR, BRAAAAAAAAAKE, FLOOR, Brake...etc

98CobraClone said:
Is it possible? Yes, I'm doing it

Is it a good idea for someone who's 17? Probably not
You'll be looked at around $4000 if not more, complete cost, not including fuel upgrades, ECU tune, etc.
If I were you, I'd hold off on it. I know how I was when I was your age, FOOT ON FLOOR, BRAAAAAAAAAKE, FLOOR, Brake...etc

So you don't suggest it b/c of how unsafe it would be w/ a 17 year old (not responsible enough)? or is 11 psi too much to get on it alot due to engine strength? how often do you floor it? I am actually relatively conservative compared to my friend w/ an 02 rsx-s and other friend w/ a 92 mr2 turbo.

I can get the full kit excl. fuel and tune for 3200 shipped with 3 core intercooler, and my dad and I can install it, not to mention i have about 3 months to save up for the fuel and tune... It would really suck to have a blown engine going to college. but i definately want to go with 11psi if possible, imo it would be cheaper than goin 7psi and bpu'ing it.

03v6 said:
So you don't suggest it b/c of how unsafe it would be w/ a 17 year old (not responsible enough)? or is 11 psi too much to get on it alot due to engine strength? how often do you floor it? I am actually relatively conservative compared to my friend w/ an 02 rsx-s and other friend w/ a 92 mr2 turbo.

I can get the full kit excl. fuel and tune for 3200 shipped with 3 core intercooler, and my dad and I can install it, not to mention i have about 3 months to save up for the fuel and tune... It would really suck to have a blown engine going to college. but i definately want to go with 11psi if possible, imo it would be cheaper than goin 7psi and bpu'ing it.
with a proper fuel setup: 42lb aftermarket or 39lb cobra injectors, SVT focus fuel pump,MAF calibrated for the injectors and SCT chip burned by Justin at www.vmptuning.com
the 3.8 will last quite a while.

my 98 lasted 40,000miles with 11psi and stock 14lb injectors with procharger FMU. it finally lost compression in #6

as long as it is done right you'll be fine. the proper fuel components will run you an extra $1000 at least but you need them

it should get you about 280rwhp

I have done a lot of repairs on the 3.8 in the Thunderbird and Cougars and they usually have overheating problems that end up being cracked head. How are these engines staying together under boost when stock high mileage cars usually have head problems. I have over a dozen head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets in the shop because these are popular cars to come into the shop. I started buying heads at the yard to give people cheap options. When did Ford change the size into 3.9 and was internal changes made to the cooling jackets to keep the cars from cracking heads? Thanks