12.5-13# oil pressure @ hot idle??

jaymac

Feb 18, 2004
Northern Mass
I searched and saw this issue touched on, but never a definitive answer, so:
Engine starts and warms up slightly above 50 psi, and once it's hot, it will settle down to about 12.5-15 psi at idle. Lately it's been in the 80's-90's here. I run Mobil 1 5w-30, and there's 123,xxx miles on the engine, never rebuilt. It is an autometer gauge. Earlier this year, before it got hot outside, the lowest it would ever go is 20-25, using the same gauge and weight oil.
Once you touch the gas, it will go back up to 35, and will stay at 35-40 while cruising at 2000+
What do you guys think? Reason to worry? Should I just switch to 10w-30 and see what happens for the summer?
Thanks for the replies!
Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

jaymac said:
I searched and saw this issue touched on, but never a definitive answer, so:
Engine starts and warms up slightly above 50 psi, and once it's hot, it will settle down to about 12.5-15 psi at idle. Lately it's been in the 80's-90's here. I run Mobil 1 5w-30, and there's 123,xxx miles on the engine, never rebuilt. It is an autometer gauge. Earlier this year, before it got hot outside, the lowest it would ever go is 20-25, using the same gauge and weight oil.
Once you touch the gas, it will go back up to 35, and will stay at 35-40 while cruising at 2000+
What do you guys think? Reason to worry? Should I just switch to 10w-30 and see what happens for the summer?
Thanks for the replies!
Jeremy
Might need to look at a new pump..numbers are on the attention getting side. Other options are switch to a 10-40 or 20-50 to help out pressure situation.

Jeremy, I also wouldnt infer much until you run a thicker oil (while in the heatwave).

If it stays hot outside, I might step up to a 10W-XX (if you happen to be ready to change oil).

I live in Charleston SC and it has been in the mid to upper 90's for the past two weeks. Im running 20-50 amsoil sythetic right now and i hold 35# at HOT idle and 45-50 at cruise. When i first got down here and i was running 5-30 i was pulling like 35# at cruise and 15-20# at hot idle. I didnt really like it and i knew i wasnt going to be beating on my car too bad while i was down here so i switched to the 20-50 for safety sake! Also what kinda of gauge are you using.

Realistically, I dont like to see pressure quite that low (14 PSI at idle), but since it jumps up as soon as you bump the throttle, I might not sweat it. You know that you have outstanding protection/clinging with the M1 oil.............

If you do change it, pour it back into the jug and use it again this winter. :D

I always thought anything below 20 psi at idle was bad news. I have an oil pressure warning light from Auto Meter and the sending unit for the light is 18psi. So it will go off if the pressure gets below 18# which means shut down. Is this true or can these engines run at lower pressure?

FYI mine idles at 22-25# hot with a/c, and cruise 2000 rpm is about 60#.

low oil pressure is nothing more than 2-3 things, bearing clearances are opening up, pump is bleeding some pressure off due to rotor clearances or the freak leaks at the pickup. You can run all day long at 10psi per 1000 rpm, regardless if that formula is from the 60-70's, it still holds true today regardless of the oil being used. The thread starters motor is fine, your gonna lose bearing clearance, no two ways around it.