12 # Boost Vs Stock Longblock (Pics)

YtnGT

Founding Member
Sep 23, 2002
TX
What more to say other than many years of nitrous and boost before the stock 2v longblock let go. I was at high speed WOT and bang a connecting rod or two let go. The stang has been down over a year waiting for $$$, now is the time.

The 4r70w is in great shape but the stock shortblock is toast. I can't wait for the forged longblock, 2.6L, and T65 to arrive.

:D:D:D

Attachments

• DSC01936 (Copy).jpg
    DSC01936 (Copy).jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC01948 small.jpg
    DSC01948 small.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Sponsors (?)

I was running a MPH mongoose kit with V2-SQ 3.33" and vortech aftercooler. Of course the kit comes with 42# injectors, 90mm MAF, tune, and SVT focus pump. Plus I have a BAP and wideband commander.

The a/f did not go lean and no sign of detonation. It looks like my #8 connecting rod just had enough. With blower alone the car made 403 rwhp through a automatic.

Anybody want a MPH aftercooled mongoose kit or a 4r70w transmission...

I talked to Tim yesterady and they can still get the KB 2.8L for the 2v. :nice: So forget the 2.6 I'm going 2.8...

I will not rule out detonation, but looking at and disassembling the shortblock I am convinced that the connecting rod went first. Maybe the rod let go because of slight detonation, I don't know. All plugs are very close to .025" gap still. The broken piston is because of the broke connecting rod smacking the crap out of it as well as the cylinder wall, note huge hole in cylinder wall.

I have seen the result of bad detonation several times and plug electrodes seem to melt first, then pistons/rings. Regardless, I am very pleased with the mongoose kit. It's unfortunate that the 2v shortblock is weak.

I will probably sell the blower kit to a friend or put on ebay. The blower is in great shape. I removed it first and cleaned and re-lubed it right after the incident.

Here is another pic.

I should have the longblock, blower, and transmission on order early next week. My spreadsheet of **** I need/want is getting longer. You have to be a crackhead to spend this kind of money on a mustang.

Attachments

• DSC01998 resize.jpg
    DSC01998 resize.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 92