12 volt connections. What are my options?

BaLleRz68

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2001
I know a lot of people have many electrical accessories such as electric fans, waterpumps, tachs, aftermarket radios, lights etc. I was wondering how people wire all of these accessories that require 12 volts. I dont want to keep taping the ignition switch for 12 volts because I dont want to overload anything.I seen a lot of people use multiple relays but I still dont understand how to do this. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

if your going to run a few diffierent things that are low amperage, run a wire off the ignition switch into a relay, from there run it into a fused distribution block. If they have a higher current draw use a realy for each circuit you run off that.If its constant 12V source, run a 8 GA or 4 GA into a fused distribution block. I do the same fro grounds, run a wire to a block then tap off that.

Agreed.

Except I did things a little different. I put in a 2nd fuse block then ran a 8ga wire to it. Then if I need something that is powered only when the key is "on" I throw the relay by connecting the relay to the ignition switch, but get the power for the relay from the fuse block.

It's amazing how many accessories I've ended up connecting. Stereo system, tach, EFI ECU, alarm, power windows and locks, additional guages, nitrous system.. and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

I`m in the same boat you are

trying to learn to wire things, I just bought a couple books at Books A Million last week. One of them is titled "How To Wire A Hot Rod". Its basically a book explaining how to use Painless wiring products, its pretty informative, ya might try that.