12 volt power steering pump?

• Sponsors (?)

re: link

Gene,
Thanks for the welcome. I didn't find the link that you referred to. I did find a 12 volt hydraulic pump that was rated at 2000 psi for $230 on e-bay, I wasn't sure how It would need to be set up. I wondered if it would need to be wired to be powered when the key is on and run continuously any time the car is on, or if it would need to have a pressure triggered switch that only has the pump triggered to come on if the pressure drops below 1800 psi. I considered running the hydraulic lines off the pump to the Bendix power steering control valve.
Thoughts??

Dee-Dee-Dee,
In my first reply, I forgot to paste the link. :doh: The link is there now. The Autozombie price for the MR2 pump discussed in the second link is $487 without a core. The second link article has some goos info.
HTH,
Gene

re: links

Gene,
I looked at the links. Thanks again. Maybe I could find one of the MR2 12 volt pumps and the entire setup in a salvage vehicle. Do you think my idea about just wiring a standard 12-volt hydraulic pump to be powered when the key is turned on would work?

re: links

Sorry,
I guess I was just a little impatient before I finished reading the info on those links. Looks like the MR2 set-up would probably work with the circuit breaker that they referred to. If I can find one out of a salvage vehicle I think I'll try it. Since I'm going with a rack and pinion setup if it gives me trouble while I'm driving down the road I should be fine safety wise.
Thanks again. I'm still in the planning phase of my project. I'll let you know how things work out after I get to the installation part.
Marvin

re: electric pump setup

Gene,
I found one of the MR2 electric power steering pumps on ebay for $240 and the other components outlined in the guy's diagram on the EV link for a combined total of <$300.
I'm pumped about trying my idea.
What do you think this will do to the horse power on the engine? I wonder about the draw on the battery and alternator also.
Marvin

You are about to hit cascading upgrades. If you still have the stock type alternator, you are going to want to upgrade to a 3g or 6g alternator before you do this. I wouldn't try to run a pump like that on the stock alternator. You can junkyard a 3g for quite cheap and the extra parts to install it aren't terribly expensive either.

You aren't going to pickup too much horse power simply by losing the pump. If you want to know what the difference will be like from the seat of your pants perspective you can simply remove the PS belt and take the car for a drive around the block and see how different the power level feels.

You are about to hit cascading upgrades. If you still have the stock type alternator, you are going to want to upgrade to a 3g or 6g alternator before you do this. I wouldn't try to run a pump like that on the stock alternator. You can junkyard a 3g for quite cheap and the extra parts to install it aren't terribly expensive either.

You aren't going to pickup too much horse power simply by losing the pump. If you want to know what the difference will be like from the seat of your pants perspective you can simply remove the PS belt and take the car for a drive around the block and see how different the power level feels.

Wouldn't necisarily say that, i mean its always a good idea but he should be fine with only a 12A draw. My e-fans draw combined 40-50 and i saw an effect with that :rolleyes: but i think an added 12A would be okay yet. I'm assuming transient pull on it would only be about 40A or so which isn't outside the realm of everything else on the car.

I tend to assume that everyone has an aftermarket stereo as well as an MSD box or a dura spark upgrade. I think the factory alternator was 75 amps ? I'm not exactly comfortable running all that off of a 75 amp alternator myself.

Funny thing, I was going to suggest switching to an electric fan to get some more "free" horsepower. Add an electric fan in there and you DEFINITELY need a bigger alternator.

Hi Marvin, welcome to the site, my question is what do you plan on using the car for? It's a trick idea no doubt, but if you are just driving this car on a daily basis then I think you would be miles ahead just putting in a belt driven pump, its not going to save you that much horsepower, and +1 to what Rusty said about the fan...that would be a much bigger gain as far "free" horespower goes, and a much more practical application. But I also understand the "cool" effect of doing stuff like that and stand behind you 100%. This site is about sharing info, so if you do pursue this electric pump, by all means share your experience! Again, welcome!

Hi Marvin, welcome to the site, my question is what do you plan on using the car for? It's a trick idea no doubt, but if you are just driving this car on a daily basis then I think you would be miles ahead just putting in a belt driven pump, its not going to save you that much horsepower, and +1 to what Rusty said about the fan...that would be a much bigger gain as far "free" horespower goes, and a much more practical application. But I also understand the "cool" effect of doing stuff like that and stand behind you 100%. This site is about sharing info, so if you do pursue this electric pump, by all means share your experience! Again, welcome!

I'm on board with this. I've always thought it would be SWEET to have a "dry sump" coolant as well. Have nothing but the alternator running off of the motor. Tuck everything away nice, put the pump in the tank, remote locate the battery, hide your other pumps and so forth. but that's alot of draw and it would take a pretty solid setup to do.

alas I'm just trying to make what i have work! :D

I'm on board with this. I've always thought it would be SWEET to have a "dry sump" coolant as well. Have nothing but the alternator running off of the motor. Tuck everything away nice, put the pump in the tank, remote locate the battery, hide your other pumps and so forth. but that's alot of draw and it would take a pretty solid setup to do.

I'm not sure about a dry sump pump but they do sell electric water pumps that bolt right in place. They aren't cheap but they aren't terribly expensive.

I ran an electric water pump on my Camaro for a long time (35gpm) and when I was drag racing I didnt even have the alt hooked up...my car stayed cool.
You would probably have to fabricate some kind of crossover tube where your water pump was (maybe not) but they sell inline electric water pumps, you just put it in your radiator hose, flows up to 55gpm...

Stewart Components E558A-BK Stewart Components In-Line Electric Water Pumps