120k 5 liter???

• Sponsors (?)

drakesdad said:
These motors were meant to be driven hard........
Exactly. My buds hard driven 5.0 still runs strong at 170K miles.
I just bought a 95 GTS w/ 139K on it and it runs great. Yea, it was a girls car and babied its whole life, but that's the exception, not the norm.

In addition to my latest Pony I've had a few Stangs over the years, an 86 GT with over 130K, an 89 LX 5.0 ragtop with over 120K and a 90 LX 5.0 with over 140K. All were great running cars that were a blast to drive.

Forget the odomenter and judge the motor by how it sounds/runs, not it's mileage.

got 152 on mine. Bought it at 123k. At 123 still had the factory tune-up (plugs, wires, etc) they were all SHOT so it was basically abused.

Since then I ahve driven hard, Very hard... and it seems to want to take more.

So don't worry about it if it runs good and strong...

I still ran mine hard at 160k, it was starting to show the sign of rings going bad due to heavy amounts of Nitrous but other than that it would still run low 13's n/a and mid 12's with a 100 shot of nitrous.

I agree with those above, these are some of the most durable motors ford produced or else they would not have stuck with them for as long as they did. 100k miles means it is broken in.

These engines go past 200k.

#1 The 5.0 engine is (by today's standards) DETUNED. It is not anywhere near its potential output with the fact that doesn't rev anywhere near it's redline - for one example stock. So, it really can't be ragged out.

#2 Guys are running superchargers at 170k.

silver bullt - "I still ran mine hard at 160k, it was starting to show the sign of rings going bad due to heavy amounts of Nitrous but other than that it would still run low 13's n/a and mid 12's with a 100 shot of nitrous."

Is this the norm for engines with nitrous set up? What if the engine is a "tuned," new, and h/c/I application. Will the rings wear just as quickly with the nitrous as your's did? Thx.