120K mustang boosted=shrapnel?

blk92stangg

Jan 30, 2004
Hawaii
Seeing how most publications and people don't recommend throwing a S/C on a high mileage motor, has anyone had the cajones to try? Or conversely, has anyone installed a blower only to have their engine grenade? My car has 126K on it, and the engine SEEMS to be pretty strong yet, and I am trying to guess how many miles it would survive under mild to moderate boost (6-8).

Any sad stories out there? :eek:

• Sponsors (?)

I know there are a couple guys on here with s/c high mileage 5.0's. I was reading in a post the other day and a guy had like 150k and a s/c and it ran well he said. Mainly, it's how well the engine was taken care of, etc that will help determine how boost will affect it. Do a compression check and make sure you have good compression before you go boosting it...a problem will only get worse under boost.

check out MM&FF April 2004 issue., page 146the have a high mileager (143,000 miles) and put a procharger on it. blew head gaskets. they put the supercharger on at like 116,000 miles if i am not mistaken. so they used the oppertunity of a blown head gasket to put brodix ST 5.0R heads on it!

HarleyFordFan said:
check out MM&FF April 2004 issue., page 146the have a high mileager (143,000 miles) and put a procharger on it. blew head gaskets. they put the supercharger on at like 116,000 miles if i am not mistaken. so they used the oppertunity of a blown head gasket to put brodix ST 5.0R heads on it!

They thought they blew a head gasket, turned out the stock head bolts just stretched. They put the SC on when the car had 135k I think. Only reason I remember that is because my car had the exact same miles on it when I read that article, which made me start thinking of putting on an SC. Now my car still has the same amount of miles as the MM&FF one (143k), but I'm still afraid of putting on a supercharger :(

I remember talking to someone at superchargerhelp.com in the Novi 1000 forum that has 160k+ miles on his bottom end and is putting out over 400whp. Just depends on the condition of your motor, and especially if it has forged pistons. Do a compression test and a leak down test to see if it can handle it. Good luck!

have a issue of MM&FF and guy had a white lx with over 100k with a stock short block and runds 10.40's in the quarter puting out 530+ to the wheels at ten pounds of boost all to a 100k+ mile short block. his car is what i am building mine after.

If you run moderate boost and have it tuned correctly you shouldn't have any troubles.

I suggest the same as above, do a compression check, all cylinders should be within 10% of one another.......recheck the lowest cylinder after pouring about a capfull of oil in the cylinder, if the pressure goes up(10-25psi) then your rings are shot. If everything is OK, I say go for it. Boost is GOOD!

Wow, I am running out of excuses to stop myself from dropping the cash for a S/C! I was delaying boosting the GT because of the mileage, but if my compression is OK....hope the plastic still works muaahahahahahaha!!!!

Yea, I have one. 137K on the motor. Have a Procharged 9lb boost w/ 3 core intercooler. Runs pretty strong. Dyno'ed in Dec at 301 rwhp and 325ftlbs torque. If the weather holds out tomorrow I'm goin' again. Have added a bunch of stuff since the first dyno. You can check it out in my sig. :nice: