12v power wires

kpack5982

Yeah, it was pretty stiff, but eventually a buddy
Jul 13, 2005
Granger, IA
Ok I have all the wiring hooked up for my mark viii fan, but the wire to the 12v key on power source, I found online to splice into the maf sensor 12v key on, which wire is that or does anyone recommend a different wire to splice into?

• Sponsors (?)

If you are good with electrical stuff (90% of the people here aren't), build your own controller. The numbers on the diagram (#86, #87, etc) refer to the numbers on the bottom of a typical automotive relay.

attachment.php

If you are an experienced electronics tech or electrical engineer, email me and it will send you the prototype drawings of a fan controller that is probably as good as the DC Control unit. It is a build it, troubleshoot it yourself item. I will not build or troubleshoot units, so it is not suitable for anyone who isn't really good with electronics.

well I am going to wire it up with a controller, but it won't come for a month so I have it set up so the power comes from the battery, but the switch to have it turned on right now is going to come from the 12v on from the maf like i got from a site, I just don't know which wire is the 12v key on wire that goes to the maf.

This is the site I got the wiring from

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/markviii.htm

Don't take power off the MAF wire. Last thing you want is slight power surges on that sensitive peice of electronics

Go to the other side of the engine bay and look for the coolant plug. If your car doesn't have a low coolant sensor in the overflow, the plug end will be hanging from the headlight harness. Its a 12V key on power source that can spare a little extra juice

Only use the existing wiring to supply power to a relay coil. The fan draws 30 amps: none of the stock wiring is big enough to supply that much power. Use one of the existing wires that are designed to carry 5-10 amps and you will have a fire or melted wiring.

As suggeseted, if you want switched power for the relay, use the coolant level sensor on the overflow tank. A voltmeter or test lamp will help find which wire is powerd up when the ignition switch is turned on.