13.7 in lightly modded 2v

black 96 gt

Jun 10, 2008
solon, ohio
Well a couple days ago i ran a 13.7 at 101.99. All that is done to this car is a K&N CAI and a Mac O/R H pipe. Has anyone else seen times like this with these mods? A lot of guys at the track thought i had more done. I honestly don't have any gears or a tune. Do you think it's just a strong car to begin with? Here's my best time slip of the day. The rest were 13.8s at 101.
xp297l.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Personally, that timeslip looks crazy. I'm not doubting it, but I have never seen at 2v go 13.7 with a 2.25 60ft and 101mph trap speed. Your 60ft could have inflated your MPH a slight bit, if you were spinning out of the hole. Full street trim, or did you remove weight? What was your DA? Did you launch high, sping bad and the car recovered for the rest of the pass?

Personally, that timeslip looks crazy. I'm not doubting it, but I have never seen at 2v go 13.7 with a 2.25 60ft and 101mph trap speed. Your 60ft could have inflated your MPH a slight bit, if you were spinning out of the hole. Full street trim, or did you remove weight? What was your DA? Did you launch high, sping bad and the car recovered for the rest of the pass?

Trust me, there's a lot of people that think it looks crazy. The only weight I removed was the spare tire and jack. I was also running on 1/8th tank of gas. It did spin pretty bad on that run but i have other slips where i bogged on the launch and still ran 13.8 at 101. I can post them up if you'd like to see them. I never let off the gas the entire time down the track. Every power shift was WOT and i honestly don't think i could have shifted any better. The ass end actually kicked out in 3rd gear a couple times even with the stock 3.27 gears.

I beat a bone stock 3v GT with a 14 flat even after missing 3rd gear. He ran a 14.1 with a passenger so I'm sure he could have done better but it surprised the hell out of him. And i stayed right behind a guy i know with a 6.0 GTO just like mine. He is a former 2v owner and thinks my car may be tuned. But if it was tuned wouldn't the rev limiter be higher than 6100?

I beat a bone stock 3v GT with a 14 flat even after missing 3rd gear. He ran a 14.1 with a passenger so I'm sure he could have done better but it surprised the hell out of him. And i stayed right behind a guy i know with a 6.0 GTO just like mine. He is a former 2v owner and thinks my car may be tuned. But if it was tuned wouldn't the rev limiter be higher than 6100?

All that "tuning" would do to that car with that little mods is advance the timing

This was at dragway 42 in west salem ohio. It was about 55 degrees out. I've been going to this track for years and have no reason to doubt the times. The one other 2v there had a CAI, Trick Flow TB and plenum, SCT tune, catted x pipe, and i can't remember if he had drag radials or not. He was running a 14.1. And i was dead on with the stock 3v i raced and beat him by a tenth of a second. I'll get some videos if i go next weekend.

I think your car just loves the cold air. In the computers code, there are timing adjustments based on the air intake temperature. This will advance the timing when it is cold outside. Your sensor may be a bit funny, telling the computer that it is colder than it actually is, so the timing is being advanced more, even at your mild 55* weather. Normally, I can feel a bit of extra kick in the throttle around the upper 30s or lower 40s, from the extra timing.

Anyway, enjoy the car. Go out again when the weather is warm and see if you can hook it up a little better. :D

This was at dragway 42 in west salem ohio. It was about 55 degrees out. I've been going to this track for years and have no reason to doubt the times. The one other 2v there had a CAI, Trick Flow TB and plenum, SCT tune, catted x pipe, and i can't remember if he had drag radials or not. He was running a 14.1. And i was dead on with the stock 3v i raced and beat him by a tenth of a second. I'll get some videos if i go next weekend.

Heh, Dragway 42... The "Cheater Strip". All of the strips I've been to in Ohio with friends, we always ran faster at 42. The track is slightly downhill, so everyone goes there for their 'bragging times'. Last time I was there, they had a huge pothole in the middle of the runoff lane that my exhaust would scrape on every time. They would sometimes open the track on nice days in the middle of winter, and even did something the day after new years called "The Hangover Drags" or something like that.

Yea, but he cut a 1.9 60', not a 2.25 like the OP did.

I'm sure that it is possible to run that time with your mods, but I don't see it happening with that short time and with that trap speed. I think something, either with the car or with the track, is up.

It's possible.. depends on the DA..

My old 01 stock gt went [email protected] with a 2.1 60 on a unpreped track.. but the DA was near 0

That was at new england dragway back in april of 05

I wish I went up with that car on a Saturday or Sunday when they actually tried to get the track to hook.