13" brake kit = rusty rotors *sigh*

AmBo

Feb 3, 2004
New Jersey
Well, Ive had my 13" bullitt brake kit for almost a month now. At first, they were GORGEOUS! I LOVED EM! :hail2: But now, the entire center of the rotor is rusted! :bang: The bullitt caliper doesnt grab the entire rotor, and the part that isnt grabbed just rusted to all hell! :nonono:

Is there anyway to avoid this? My friend said you could take off the rotor, brillo it down, then paint it with heat resistent paint and the caliper will tear it off, but the rest will be painted and protected. :shrug:

Are there rotors that are designed NOT to rust? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I painted my rotors with high temp caliper paint. I did take the time to mask off the area where the pads hit the rotors. I'm not real sure I would want to burn off the paint using the pads as your friend suggested though?? :shrug: They really look a lot better and it's been near 2 years since I've done it and they still look great.

Attachments

• susp177st.jpg
    susp177st.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 106
hot damn droptop, where did you find those? Those are crazy sexy. The rusty rotors are hideous and I'm about to buy those. Where from?

hotrod: that IS sexy. How long did it take you to paint? Did you paint while the caliper was still attached?

AmBo said:
I guess the cheaper solution is any pair of rotors other than the ones the brake kits come with. All other rotors (brembo, pbr, baer) don't rust...of course the kits come with CRAP :bang:

my slotted/drilled rotors are brembo and they rusted like crazy....and are barely used but they look like total crap!!! I'm seriously thinking of dropping the 450 bucks for those baer eradispeed rotors. My girl just said something to me this morning about the rust. And it leaves a rust dust on my wheels...it really sticks out with black wheels.

AmBo said:
droptop, mine are Brembo too, but we have the OEM ones. The aren't zinc coated and will rust and only cost $145 for the pair. They are garbage. I'm going to buy a full new set off ebay. $270 shipped to my door for a full new set of rotors dimpled and slotted, zinc plated Brembo. Buy a set bro!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Must...33564QQitemZ7988292310QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

I like the look of the 2 piece rotors. My buddy has them on his Z06 vette and they just look beautiful behind the wheels. I spent alot of money making the rest of the car look good..so i might as well shell out some more for the rotors i want.

AmBo said:
droptop, mine are Brembo too, but we have the OEM ones. The aren't zinc coated and will rust and only cost $145 for the pair. They are garbage. I'm going to buy a full new set off ebay. $270 shipped to my door for a full new set of rotors dimpled and slotted, zinc plated Brembo. Buy a set bro!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Must...33564QQitemZ7988292310QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

those look like my powerslot rotors, they claimed they were coated and they rusted too. I think if its not painted it will rust.

droptopponynj said:
i hate it too, i've been looking at 2 piece rotors.
got them and love them, they have taken every bit of abuse ive thrown at them and havent given me an ounce of trouble and great.
pricey, but well worth it just for the bad ass look factor. I swear ive never had so many people ooo and awe over a set of rotors before.

AmBo said:
hotrod: that IS sexy. How long did it take you to paint? Did you paint while the caliper was still attached?
Thanks AmBo, it took me the best part of a day to do it, as I did take off all the calipers, sanded, used scotch brite pads and masked off the area where the pads hit and the wheels mounted against the rotors before painting. Plus I let the paint dry a good while before putting them back on.

Yea, hotrod, it looks great. Nothing like having a part of the car you feel is customized to YOUR liking. :)

droptop, let me see some pics of your car. I've never seen it! wtf! We talk all the time, but I can't picture your car! here is mine:
stang1.jpg

sorry for the blurry image, the lens fogged up cuz of the damn NJ humidity. lol!

As for the rotors, I knew $270 sounded too good for a set of 4. *sigh* I guess I'll just deal with the rusty rotors for a little longer and down the road I'll give em a swap.

Marks5.0! said:
got them and love them, they have taken every bit of abuse ive thrown at them and havent given me an ounce of trouble and great.
pricey, but well worth it just for the bad ass look factor. I swear ive never had so many people ooo and awe over a set of rotors before.

ambo, check out his car domain link, it has close up pics of the 2 piece rotors behind the wheels you want.

I have Baer brakes all around and they don't rust. But the center section will get oxidized and get a light concrete color to them. It is not that big of a deal since I have silver rims, all sort of blends in.