13" Cobra Disk Brake Brackets

imshaggy2000

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2002
Orange, CA
Does any one on the board know how to use AutoCAD or another program of the sort, my brother in-law who does CAD drawings for an architecture firm is just to busy to make a drawing of my revised brackets. So if any one can help me out ill send you a scan my diagrams.

For those of you who don’t know I’ve been working on a bracket that will enable you to use 13” cobra disk brakes along with 71-73 drum brake spindles. I’ll post a pic of the mach up bracket I made tomorrow, so you all can see what I’ve been up to.

• Sponsors (?)

Me too

I use it every day with the engineering firm I work for. Granted it's civil engineering but alot of our engineers are licesensed for civil and mechanical. We have scanners that will read 3' x 4' sheets as well. I also have it at home to play with.

Have CAD Systems and Original SN95 CAD Drawings

Shaggy,

I have several CAD systems available to me.

Additionally, I work for Ford and have the original CAD data for the F4ZC and F6ZC brake chassis assemblies. This data provides the exact dimensions and angles for the caliper relative to the spindle centerline.

I can put together whatever type of drawing you need.

Can you let me know what your plan is to center the SN95 rotor on the (smaller diameter) '70 hub?

Let me know if you want me to draw something up and/or compare notes.

Thanks,
Jeff

hsr said:
Shaggy,

I have several CAD systems available to me.

Additionally, I work for Ford and have the original CAD data for the F4ZC and F6ZC brake chassis assemblies. This data provides the exact dimensions and angles for the caliper relative to the spindle centerline.

I can put together whatever type of drawing you need.

Can you let me know what your plan is to center the SN95 rotor on the (smaller diameter) '70 hub?

Let me know if you want me to draw something up and/or compare notes.

Thanks,
Jeff

Whoa If I could look over those CAD drawings to check them against my own that would be awsome.

Thank all you guys for your offers, I don't have time to scan them tonight (chem test tomorrow), but could probably do it tomorrow or over the weekend.

"Can you let me know what your plan is to center the SN95 rotor on the (smaller diameter) '70 hub?"

The short and simple answer is I haven’t found a reason do to anything. That may sound like a stupid answer, but when the smaller hub is pressed up against the rotor it is centered by the studs, and there is no side to side movement what so ever. If I find a need to do anything in the future it won’t be hard to machine a ring to go around the hub that would fill the gap between it and the rotor, but I don’t see a need to do that. I've made a mach up of the bracket; bolted it on along with the caliper and rotor. The clearances seem to be exactly the same as they where on the sn95 spindle and they are consistent as I spin the rotor around. I have altered the caliper angel in relation to the center of the hub by 10 degrease from the sn95 spindle for clearance, but this makes no difference for obvious reasons that the caliper must maintain a constant distance form the rotor anyway no mater what position the rotor is in this goes the same for the position of the caliper as long as you rotate it about the center of the hub.

The reasons I used the 70-73 drum brake spindles are simple and key to the design of the system and I really wouldn’t do it with any other spindle. So I'm sorry monk but it really can’t be done "right" IMO with a 67-68 spindle or Granada spindle. The 70-73 spindles (sorry its hard to keep years strait but I believe its 70 - 73) has special properties 1. It has 4 bolt holes on the spindle you can mount a bracket to 2. Its beefier then the other spindles a must for a performance brake kit like this IMO.

Heres some visuals
LinkPhoto

Any way I guess it too longer to type that response then it probably would have to go over to my moms computer scan the stuff and send it, but now its really getting late and I have a lot of work to do for school.

BTW hsr if you wanted to share those CAD drawings I would be glad to look at them I have AutoCAD 2002 on my computer so I should be able to look at them.

imshaggy2000 said:
The reasons I used the 70-73 drum brake spindles are simple and key to the design of the system and I really wouldn’t do it with any other spindle. So I'm sorry monk but it really can’t be done "right" IMO with a 67-68 spindle or Granada spindle. The 70-73 spindles (sorry its hard to keep years strait but I believe its 70 - 73) has special properties 1. It has 4 bolt holes on the spindle you can mount a bracket to 2. Its beefier then the other spindles a must for a performance brake kit like this IMO.

No problem Shaggy, I am really looking forward to see what your end product will look like when completed. For a while now I have seen numerous postings on using sn-95 brakes on our cars but I have never actually seen anyone get it done. Sounds as if you are about there. Best of luck.

Shaggy,

The CAD system (PDGS) that this stuff is in doesn't have a .dxf output translator. The best I can do that I think ACAD would accept is IGES. Please confirm is you can take that.

This concept should work on '65-up spindles provided they are the drum brake spindles. If you look at the aftermarket brackets that are sold to put stock disc brakes on original drum brake cars, it's really the same thing. Granted, the '70 spindle looks a little more beefy. I already CAD designed a bracket that would put the SN caliper on the '65 drum spindle. I've been using the 11" rotor, V6 and GT caliper in my study as worst case scenario. Mainly because I run a 15" wheel. Same bracket allows the 13" rotor and Cobra/Bullet caliper to be used (as should be the same with your design).

I personally have the GT-nada style setup on my car ('65). The 2001 GT aluminum PBR twin pot calipers (as the rest of the SN95 calipers) fit to the Granada spindle using brackets I fabricated. The issue with putting 13" rotors on the Granada spindle is lack of the separate hub design the early drum brake cars and the SN cars have.

As far as the centering ring (rotor to hub), there would be some slop as a result of the oversized "clearance" lug stud holes in the rotor as comparred to the stud themselves on the hub. Not a lot, but enough to cause some vibration at high speeds I'm sure. As a side note, Ultrastang started producing and using them for their rear disc brake kit. Just a thought.

Send me an email from the address you want me to forward the data to.

Thanks,
Jeff

imshaggy2000 said:
The reasons I used the 70-73 drum brake spindles are simple and key to the design of the system and I really wouldn’t do it with any other spindle. So I'm sorry monk but it really can’t be done "right" IMO with a 67-68 spindle or Granada spindle.
I've already procurred a set of 71-73 Spindles for this. Anyone want a perfectly good set of 67 power disc spindles with brand new bearings, brand new calipers and brand new SSBC rotors? Theve've never been driven one mile :D

HSR

tweet66 said:
Hsr,
could you send me a copy of the Cad drawing yuo have for the bracket you made for the Granada spindles? I have them on my car now and was looking to put the SN95 calipers on them.
Thanks
Ken

I am with Tweet on this one. Could you send them to me as well HSR??

Thanks,

Mike

SN95 Caliper on Granada Spindle

Guys,

I'm using the GT-nada setup that has been discussed on this forum in the past to put the SN95 caliper on my Granada spindles. I made my brackets out of a block instead of a welded assembly.

Here is the drawing of that bracket.

The other bracket I've designed is to put the SN caliper on a '65-66 drum spindle. In concept, it looks just like this:

Except I want to make it out of one piece of bent flat stock instead of cast.

Jeff

hsr said:
Guys,

I'm using the GT-nada setup that has been discussed on this forum in the past to put the SN95 caliper on my Granada spindles. I made my brackets out of a block instead of a welded assembly.

Here is the drawing of that bracket.

The other bracket I've designed is to put the SN caliper on a '65-66 drum spindle. In concept, it looks just like this:

Except I want to make it out of one piece of bent flat stock instead of cast.

Jeff

Sorry, I messed up the picture attachments. The one labelled SNGranadaBracket.jpg is the GT-nada type that I made using a block instead of a welded assembly.

The one labelled caliper bracket.jpg is the commonly available '65-66 bracket used to convert original drum brake cars to disc using stock drum spindle and stock '65-66 caliper.

The other bracket I designed looks similar to the caliper bracket.jpg, except it is made from flat stock that has a bend in it (could also become a welded assembly) instead of a casting. It will bolt to '65-66 drum brake spindle and allow use of 11" rotor with V6 or GT caliper OR 13" rotor with Cobra/Bullit caliper.

A similar bracket could be made to fit '67-68 drum spindles, '69-70 drum spindles as Shaggy is doing or '71-73 drum spindles if there is such a thing.

The object is to take advantage of the four bolt mounting flange (where the backing plate used to mount) the drum spindle offers.

tweet66 said:
Hey Monk,
are you going to Englishtown this weekend? I'm trying to get up there Saturday.

Ken

Tweet, yeah I am going to be there on Saturday, hopefully early afternoon. I am going to pick up a few items from CJ Pony Parts and then go rummaging for a 28 spline 9 inch 3rd member. I haven't been in a few years so I am looking forward to it. Are you going to bring your car?