13" Cobra Disk Brake Brackets

• Sponsors (?)

one2gamble said:
my question is...if this is as easy as making a bracket why isnt there one readily available? It seems as though they would be pretty easy to market if they were both easy to build and safe.

They are readily available. See this thread. http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=493550

The Baer calipers are PBR's.

Everyone wants these brackets (or at least the drawings for them). I offered the data and even to draw them up, but not one person has yet to provide the necessary input. See my last post in this thread: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=396702&page=2

I just want someone to make them if they would come in at a decent price. If they would cost a couple hundred it wouldnt be worth it in my opinon. Once someone has some for sale without having to purchase an entire brake kit post it up :)

I'd really like someone to post the information about the brackets so people can make their own. I'd like to buy a Cobra brake kit and figure it out, but I have some other projects that must be completed first...

Mustangsteve is just finishing his 13" COBRA brake conversion for stock spindles. He says half the cost of Baer brakes, should be available in a couple weeks. He posted a pic on VMF.

hey guys just thought i would chime in here considering ive done the swap and made my own brackets. had the brakes on the 66 for about 6 months now, stops great for an old car. also check out Mustang Steves website because he has the brackets at the machine shop now and will have them for sale soon. i was going to get them made at a local machine shop but it ended up being too expensive.

I think it's great that these retrofit kits are coming available now. MustangSteve has his out, and now Randall's Rack is selling a similar kit as well. I suspect this will put a damper on some of the folks attempting to develop their own kits. But I also suspect there will suddenly be a number of drawings with detailed measurements (even CAD drawings) that will flood into forums. Now, when this does happen, I just wonder if it will be some determined/ingenious guy posting his own work, or will it be copies of Mustang Steve's or Randall's brackets? I'm all for it if it's some guy sharing his own work, but I think it's wrong to outright rip off Steve's or Randall's (or anyone else's) design.

My point? For you guys interested in fabbing up your own kit, don't let the new availability dampen your spirits... DIY rules! And don't be tempted to rip off someone else's design just because it's easier. Do your own r&d, or be respectful enough to pay for someone else's.

man, I really want to do this mod! How much do you think I could get for my granada setup? (spindles, calipers, rotors & brake line connecters) I have a friend that is willing to buy mine, and swap me his spindles & drum setup, but I don't know how much I should ask for..? Any suggestions?

here's my write-up of Steve's kit and the install. http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=578231

stangman16 said:
man, I really want to do this mod! How much do you think I could get for my granada setup? (spindles, calipers, rotors & brake line connecters) I have a friend that is willing to buy mine, and swap me his spindles & drum setup, but I don't know how much I should ask for..? Any suggestions?
I don't really know, I've got a set of unused SSBCs that I dont need now too.

1320stang said:
Bring it back from the dead!!!

Are there any other options for the brackets other than the $300 Mustang Steve billet aluminum brackets? I'd like to have steel ones. Did anyone ever come up with a cad drawing?

This is another area I'm working on. I've got Cobra discs for my '68's rear, so naturally I have to have Cobra discs on the front.:) --I have '75 Granada spindles on my '68.

Mustang Steve offeres conversion brackets to mount the Cobra front discs to the stock Mustang drum brake spindles, but not for the '75-'80 Granada/Monarch spindles.

With the Granada spindles, I'm not trying to infringe on his "territory".

Will you be able to use them with 15" wheels? Will the brackets be steel? I hate the thought of aluminum trying to keep from ripping the caliper from itself, especially when my family might be aboard. Normal driving, this probably wouldn't be a problem, but if I make a road course excursion, what's to say they won't get work hardened?

bracket

here's a copy of the bracket Baer makes for the 12" Track setup for a Granada spindle. Haven't been able to figure ou the dimesioning shown yet:shrug:

Attachments

• Brakeadapter.jpg
    Brakeadapter.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 170