13 second recipe for AOD?

MYSTICSVT

Founding Member
May 16, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
I'm currently starting to mod my daily driver. It's a 89 5.0 LX with an AOD(59K miles). Currently its only mods are an American Thunder after-cat and a Moroso CAI. The 3.73's go in next week. What else do I need to get this car solidly in the 13's on street radials? :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search in this forum for 'rsw007'. He runs 13.00's with very minor engine mods (intake, bigger valves in stock heads, factory headers), and the big key for him seems to be his tranny mods (stall convertor, shift kit) and a tranny cooler to keep it healthy.
His car is more the exception than the rule, but you shouldn't have any trouble getting into the mid 13's with afformentioned mods with the 3.73's you're planning on as well.

I SHOULD be 13's, you can look at my sig. You may need a shift kit to bring those Shift Points to around 5500rpm, if your stocker is shifting at 48-4900.. My very 1st run at the track for me bone stock was a 15.2 @ 92.75, next time down the track i did the 1d1 shuffle, which i dont recommend, and i was awarded with a 14.7 at 97.58. 5mph just with shifting at a higher RPM, and thats what the shift kit will do for you.

Yeah man, then do the 1d1 , lol.. Ive just heard it bad on the tranny, ive done like 3 times in my life, my buddy does it none stop and hasnt had any problems.. But i dont have the cash for a new tranny yet!! It shouldnt hurt it if you dont do it often, but the possiblity is there!

Converter, 4.10 gears, shift kit, full exhaust and cold air kit will get you there. Intake, heads, etc. stock. And my coupe is fully loaded with power everything and full interior. I even run with 3/4 a tank of gas. My friend did mid 13's in my car like this, but I can only manage a best of 14.4. I guess I need to practice more. I also run street radials. I learned that its all about the launch with my set up on street radials. First time out on it I was running mid 15's, yesterday I knocked it to low 14's. Its all about testing and adapting...... If you wanna go the easy route, just put a 150 shot of nitrous on it.

MM&FF's E Emith had a LX hatch that went high 13's with DR's, Welds w/ skinnies in the front, 4:10's, 14*, K&N ... and i think headers or a catted pipe or something...

aod, left in D, no "shuffle"

too bad i threw it out, that issue was awesome, had all the freebies listed, and install tips for a bunch of stuff

i think it was entitled Cheap Speed

MYSTICSVT said:
My thoughts exactly. That's why I'm trying to mod around the AOD to get it into the 13's. If the AOD dies in the process, so be it.
Its not that easy to get an aod into the 13's if your keeping your motor stock!!And if your not gonna touch the converter I'd say its close to impossible.Now if you change the Heads and cam,and intake "sure",or even a SC or a shot of the good stuff then yes!! But a converter is the "key" ingredient :nice: But good traction off the line is a must..Street tires are gonna make it very tuff.Dude you can build your aod to be just as quick as a 5spd!!

wat exactly is 1-d-1 shuffle, do you go from 1 to drive to 1 again? or just 1-2-3-d or watever, please explain - got my curiosity going now
Paul Perreca
I have a 5-speed so it is irrelevent, but im curious

Rains said:
MM&FF's E Emith had a LX hatch that went high 13's with DR's, Welds w/ skinnies in the front, 4:10's, 14*, K&N ... and i think headers or a catted pipe or something...

aod, left in D, no "shuffle"

too bad i threw it out, that issue was awesome, had all the freebies listed, and install tips for a bunch of stuff

i think it was entitled Cheap Speed
i just found that issue

Paul Perreca said:
wat exactly is 1-d-1 shuffle, do you go from 1 to drive to 1 again? or just 1-2-3-d or watever, please explain - got my curiosity going now
Paul Perreca
I have a 5-speed so it is irrelevent, but im curious
You take off in the "1" position,shift into 2nd at your desired rpm(at this time your in the "D" position) when you get to 4000 rpm pull the shifter back to the "1" position,this will hold it in 2nd gear for as long as you want!!(Aod's shifter only has 3 positions so you cant hold 2nd gear normally) There's the "1" position,the "D" position, and then the "OD" position!!

I rebuild AOD's for performance use mostly. The 1D1 is not good for the tranny that can not disipate heat quickly. Since you are holding 2nd, the direct clutchpack (3rd) is not engaged, but still spinning - if the tolerances on the dirrect pack are TIGHT, the cltuches get very hot and also wear quickly. If you do not have kevlar clutches, you are asking for a burnt 3rd gear, and possibly a burnt OD band also. So on a stock (non mod) AOD, you better leave it alone unless you are planning on pulling it soon.

COnverter - that is in the first 5 steps to making your car GO. The 5 steop bile says (written by me)
1) gears
2) converter
3) suspension
4) exhuast
5) heads

As for shift kits....B&M is TRASH, do not buy anything with thiere logo on it. The stack plate cooler is the only thing I can say is worth a bit of anyones monwy - and those are still japanese made universal converters with B7M name on it and can purchase through JCW for cheaper. Just my .02 - since I have seen and touched a few trannies........

I recomend a VB that has the electronic OD delete or at least a Buemann/Transgo kit IMHO