130 amp 6g alternator

5.0tbirdguy

Sep 5, 2005
I was going to swap a '94/'95 130a but discovered there are some 6g alternators with 180* mounting holes such as v6 Mustangs. Used ones run about $28.00 .

The 6g has a 2lb lighter stator for less inertia loading.

My question is how do I know if it's 110 amp or 130 amp and what are ALL the applications with 180* mounting holes?

I already have a 95 amp 3g so 110 wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you looked on Monte Smith's alt page? he has a nice run down on some alt info (though I dont know if he has 6G info).

Good luck.

I worked on a p.o.s taurus today with a 6g and the right bolt pattern. Probably low amps though. Maybe a police or taxi taurus would have the right one.

Since cool weather is here I really won't need it right away. I will have time to find the right one and make a custom bracket when the new motor goes in.

Wow, how do you score the alt so cheap? J/Y item (and/or you get it wholesale)? Just curious. :D

Good luck.

I did the 6G conversion last winter, its a real nice alternator and you dont have to worry about grinding anything, it fits right in. The one I have is the 130A version. With all my accessories on plus my stereo and electric fan idleing in traffic it has NEVER gone below 14V. I belive i was actually the first on on here to do the 6G conversion.

you have any questions about it let em fly.

THC420 said:
I did the 6G conversion last winter, its a real nice alternator and you dont have to worry about grinding anything, it fits right in. The one I have is the 130A version. With all my accessories on plus my stereo and electric fan idleing in traffic it has NEVER gone below 14V. I belive i was actually the first on on here to do the 6G conversion.

you have any questions about it let em fly.
It sounds very interesting. Could you post some pictures for the rest of us?

I can get a high mileage unit for $26 or one with 10k miles for $36. Recycled parts. I would never go to a 'junkyard'- only a parts recycling yard :) New or reman is well over $100 and I'm too cheap for that route.

I'm interested in this 6G alt as well... cheap, easy to find, and bolts right in? Sounds like a winner to me...

Maybe someone can provide a breif writeup of how the 6G installs? As far as wiring it up...

As I recall, the only thing the 6G saves is grinding the accessory bracket [for the clearance needed for the 3G clocking].........

i am interested in pics too. I did the 94-95 alt conversion last winter, it seems to work nicely.

Kinda Off topic: what did everyone with a conversion do about the black wire with the orange stripe? Some say connect it, others dont.... what did you do?
I hear stories of possible fires, but PA Performance said thats just internet myth.

This sounds good,but what about the wiring,like the 5.0L voltage regulator plug,stator wire connection?Is the wiring the same as a 3g install?

What about pulleys.The 6g pulleys look big.Will a 5.0L overdrive alternator pulley fit?

N8Miller said:
Kinda Off topic: what did everyone with a conversion do about the black wire with the orange stripe? Some say connect it, others dont.... what did you do?
I hear stories of possible fires, but PA Performance said thats just internet myth.
My take:
I did it like JR outlines. 4 AWG cable only. The stock cable is disco'd at the alternator end.
My take: the 4 AWG should be plenty (my solenoid to battery cable is only 4 AWG). If the 4 AWG cable ever blows its fuse or a connection becomes bad, I dont want to hope that the fusible link in the stock charging cable blows before that stock harness catches on fire.

Note: this is an abbreviated reply. After the revamping here, half my posts dont actually post on the server. The first long one did not take. This is really aggravating.

Andy, thanks man. :nice:

I posted on a thread started by Mike and no one seems to care or reply at least.

If this does not improve, I think I might just go post on the Corral and some of the other smaller forums instead. (If that happens, you have my email addy).

Looks like I have to wait a week for a used alternator. Some evil core buyers wiped out the shelf full of good used parts.

They have to completely strip a car before I can get an alternator. Then they can't cut the plug because it destroys the engine harness. That's the price you pay for using a quality parts recycler instead of a junkyard.