14.1 at 97 mph, my first time at the track

bergs

Jan 19, 2004
new jersey
i spun the entire time in 1st gear, so i'm hoping with some drag radials to hit 13.8 and with gears to hit 13.5. i was launching at 2000 rpm. 2.2-2.4 60' times, i think if i get my launch down i'll be good.

• Sponsors (?)

bergs, something isn't right here. Your posting 97 mph for your 1/4 mile. Most stock 99+ gt's will run 99 mph or so stock. And even moreso, that mph will INCREASE if your 60 ft is bad. Judging by your times id say you could easily run 13.7-13.8 stock IF your times are accurate which im questioning. Maybe something was off with the track equipment but something aint right. I ran 99.5mph with just catback and shifter mods which means basically no additional power and i didn't spin at all on my best 14.02 with a 2.15 60 ft. Your mph being nearly 3 mph lower than me suggests your closer to your peak than me however your 60 ft suggests the opposite.

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
bergs, something isn't right here. Your posting 97 mph for your 1/4 mile. Most stock 99+ gt's will run 99 mph or so stock. And even moreso, that mph will INCREASE if your 60 ft is bad. Judging by your times id say you could easily run 13.7-13.8 stock IF your times are accurate which im questioning. Maybe something was off with the track equipment but something aint right. I ran 99.5mph with just catback and shifter mods which means basically no additional power and i didn't spin at all on my best 14.02 with a 2.15 60 ft. Your mph being nearly 3 mph lower than me suggests your closer to your peak than me however your 60 ft suggests the opposite.

kirkyg

from the timeslip:

60'-2.225
330-5.997
1/8-9.147
MPH-78.26
1000-11.846
1/4-14.132
MPH-97.38

I spun the ENTIRE 1st gear, launched at about 2000, and dropped the clutch with 19 psi in the stock goodyears. i crossed the line in 3rd gear at about 6000 rpm. i didnt want to shift, into 4th, mabey thats the problem. my other 3 runs were 14.5's because i left at idle and bogged bigtime.

I agree that your trap speed is low, really low for your mods. When I was stock I trapped 99 and last month when I went to the track my worst run was a 2.4 60ft spinning till the top of second and I still managed a 14.1 at 101. So you see, even though my launch and 1-2 shift sucked my car still pulled well. Either your not hitting third fast enough or you are letting off the gas too early :shrug: Drag radials will lower your 60ft and drop you into the 13's but your mods with DR's should put you had mid 13's without gears. Not bad for the first time out though. Keep practicing and good luck!

4.6 Rocket said:
From the looks of it your 1/8 times are good and with a decent trap speed. Something is going wrong in third for you to only hit 97mph

mabey i am letting off the gas too soon, or mabey i should be shifting into 4th? do you guys shift into 4th?

bergs,

I still dont understand your mph but i will suggest how to fix your launchs. You cannot dump the clutch on these mustangs. Even with 3.27 gears your just going to spin all to hell. Your suspension and rear end isn't setup for dump the clutch nor do you have the tires for it. On stock tires the best way to launch is to rev up to about 2k, back your clutch to right where it starts to engage, when the light goes green you'll pull the clutch out about 60-70% and your rpms will stay at about 2000 for a split second and you should go about 3/4 throttle at launch. As your rpms hold and you gain traction quickly ease off the clutch and go full throttle. This is called slipping the clutch and believe me it works.

kirkyg

You need to slip the clutch out from about 3000rpms. Dropping the clutch from 2000rpms with 3.27's in the rear is just going to give a big ugly bog to the engine.

I pulled a 2.09 on the stock tires and suspension, other people can go below 2.0.

90% of your improvement will be getting better 60's. Drive the car like you hate it, seriously. With stock suspension and tires though, I couldn't go crazy on the 1-2 shift or it would break loose like a madman.

bergs said:
i spun the entire time in 1st gear, so i'm hoping with some drag radials to hit 13.8 and with gears to hit 13.5. i was launching at 2000 rpm. 2.2-2.4 60' times, i think if i get my launch down i'll be good.
add a midpipe and LCAs to the list and you'll definately be dipping in the 13's

I ran a best of 13.82 with a 98mph trap cause my clutch is going on it wouldn't let me powershift into 3rd I had to double clutch it. Previous runs that day I was running consistant 13.9's and 14.0's with a 103mph trap. I know the car is good for 13.6 with a good 60' and not having any clutch problems

Only performance mods I have is the mid pipe and catback and only suspension mods are my springs. I have been pulling 2.0 and 2.1 60's with my all season Michelin Pilots by reving to 4000 rpms and slipping the clutch that way if I go lower it bogs out down low and I can't keep it in the powerband. On my 13.8 run I got a 2.00 flat if my clutch was in better shape I'm sure I could get better runs.

Practice Practice Practice....I've probably 15-20 runs before I was pulling good times with my car stock... took another 8 runs before I could get this out of my car after the mods and I"m sure with more practice I could do better. Practice and drive it like you hate it is the best advice you can get. You've got some better times in your car you just have to improve your driving. So far your doing a pretty good job