14/16psi vs head gasket!!! Lol

I took my motor apart because I was getting a new one. Well waiting for the guy to call me but snoozed cause all i need is head gaskets. :rolleyes: So what do you think happened, was it to much boost going lean or maybe I installed the head gaskets bad? The other gasket that blew was my header gasket, blower blew my oil pan gaskets too. Lol Yea i like nitrous alot better. :p

The set up was a S-trim blower pushing 14/psi had Anderson power pipe on it, FMU, high flow 190 pump, and 38lbs inj.

image091rj8.th.jpg

image092ss2.th.jpg

image093mr1.th.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

makes me wonder why certain parts are blown and other center sections look finr.. ask a machinist? i would deck the head while it's apart and throw on a set of ARP studs, you need to fix the problem before putting it back together or it'll happen again

I doubt that there's a standard head gasket available that'll withstand 14-16 psi for long. You need to o ring the heads or use Cometic head gaskets. Once you get over 8-9 pounds you need to take special measures to ensure the gaskets don't blow. If you're blowing header gaskets and you know you installed them properly with good seals then you may want to look at a larger diameter exhaust system. Call Flowmaster and ask them for a recommendation. They will tell you the truth. They only recommended a 2.25 for my car.

I doubt that there's a standard head gasket available that'll withstand 14-16 psi for long. You need to o ring the heads or use Cometic head gaskets. Once you get over 8-9 pounds you need to take special measures to ensure the gaskets don't blow. If you're blowing header gaskets and you know you installed them properly with good seals then you may want to look at a larger diameter exhaust system. Call Flowmaster and ask them for a recommendation. They will tell you the truth. They only recommended a 2.25 for my car.

The 9333's and 8548's seem to handle 15psi+ for many people. The problem many times lies within the heads and block itself. A well seasoned block can change shape and make sealing a chore. The blocks deck needs to be checked to make sure everything is nice and flat/square. Also, the stock heads are prone to lifting under boost due under higher pressure as it has a thin deck. Head studs will help quite a bit to keep things snug...but there is no guarantee.

If you also blew the oil pan gasket or any of the oil seals then you have more boost than your system can handle. It takes quite a bit of blowby past the rings to pressurize the crankcase enough to blow out an oil pan gasket. My guess is you have other problems than just too much boost. If you are blowing head gaskets and oil pan gaskets chances are that o-ringing the heads and using studs is just going to lead to more catastrophic failures. Remember its much cheaper to replace a head gasket than to replace a piston that has a hole in it.

Well honestly guys the blower is for sale. I put it on the classifieds. I'm going to put the car all back to stock right now, well minus the head gaskets it. I'm going to enjoy the 15sec car for the summer. This winter i'm going to drop a 351w with a set of heads/intake and a n/a / nitrous cam.

Besides all the problems that happened I don't think i have enough experience with a boosted car. I know more about nitrous and am more comfortable with it.