14.3 again....

stangjunkie

Nov 15, 2004
well went out the track again and still nothin faster than 14.0, but 3 out of four runs were 14.3, so i think im just gonna chalk this issue up to traction. last time i posted this problem everyone said it to try to shift a 5500 and not 6000 well i tried it and still same result. i have been starting a 2k and droping the clutch not really rolling off it. but i didn't really spin o9ff the line but spun a bit going into second on a few of the runs. am i still just a crappy driver or is that all im going to get without traction mods?? running street tires pretty good for auto-x but not good for drag a guess

• Sponsors (?)

have you ever had that thing dyno'd?? Maybe a custom tune is in order, as well, do you have rear gears or control arms? with traction, rear gears, control arms, and a good tune, you should be easy hi twelves, to mid twelves with that combo. what is your altitude, are you high up?

Sometimes unexplainable things happen like that. I went from 13.5 to 13.6 this year AFTER a dyno tune, recalibrated tranny, battery relocate, and subframes. My sixty's went from 2.2 to 2.1 now but still a tenth slower and 1mph less. (I picked up 22hp and 14lbtq).

You should definately be in the 13's at least.

ill be honest i can put anything together but can't tune worth crap havn't done anything to fuel pressure but i think timing is 40 total.. does that sound right??
i used to trap at high 90s now im trapping 100-101, i was also under the impression i should be much faster i think the next thing to do is a dyno tune lets me know where im at.

Hmmm, just looked at your mods.You should be high 12's with average to good driving. Even with DR's your not gonna cut a full second off. OK, lets start fom the beginning. The hole shot is the most important factor. You didnt say what your 60ft time was. Get some DR's and you can launch at 3500rpm, alot guys are gonna say go higher but you need practice first.With the DR's properly heated (spin them till they "start" to smoke and stop)When launching with DR's you can keep the gas "nailed" and you shouldnt have any spin if you heated them rite.Your fuel pressure sounds fine, with your set up you could even raise it a few pounds.After leaving the line you need clean crisp shifts! "fast & consistent"! Keep the car as straight as possible and dont let off the gas till your 100ft past the finish line. Just keep doing it,practice, practice, practice!!

my best 60' was 2.2 which i think is decent with no traction mods, i dont remember which run that was on though can't find my slips...

im great at swapping parts but beyond that no good... i can use a timing light but, what spout needs unplugged im not a total moron but a little i guess.
also how can i adjust my feul pressure?? i dont have a regulator and i have all stock fuel system, everything in my sig IS EVERYTHING i have done leaving out very little... (including stock fuel pump.... could this be a major factor with this setup?? also stock MAF... well i did conversion so its brand new but stock size)

stangjunkie said:
my best 60' was 2.2 which i think is decent with no traction mods, i dont remember which run that was on though can't find my slips...

im great at swapping parts but beyond that no good... i can use a timing light but, what spout needs unplugged im not a total moron but a little i guess.
also how can i adjust my feul pressure?? i dont have a regulator and i have all stock fuel system, everything in my sig IS EVERYTHING i have done leaving out very little... (including stock fuel pump.... could this be a major factor with this setup?? also stock MAF... well i did conversion so its brand new but stock size)
yeah the stock maf is killing you. Get a 80mm they work great and they dont mess with your idle like the bullets.You have to buy an after market regulater. The factory one isnt adjustable. Kirbin is the best! Rite by the distributer theres a wire with a black and grey plastic piece. You squeeze the ends of the black part and the grey piece comes out. Dont lose it!! It goes back in after you adjust your timing and tighting up the distributer. Last but NOT LEAST yeah, ditch the factory fuel pump and go to a 225!!

will these likely fix my problems?? i've been holding off on maf cuz i dont know what future mods i will do and don't want to rebuy.... (thinking injectors too here), but i think i may be able to peice together some money if everyone thinks this is the issue
thanks for all the help so far, im getting so much crap about talking about how i would have a fast car and still have nothing

Get yourself a c&l 73 or 76mm for sure. I would say shift near 5800 out of first then cut it down to 5500 for the remaining gears.

I ran a similar set up in my old 93 cobra and ran 13.0@ 107mph on regular 17'' radials.

Ported iron GT40's
Extrude honed upper/port matched lower
e303
75mm bullit from pro m
shorties, o/r h, flows
3.55's

The stock MAF is killing the awesome potential of the HCI combo you have. I would recommend a C&L MAF also. Some folks on this site give the C&L a bad rap but I have one on my car (73 mm) and it is a really nice piece and works great. Plus, you can change sampling tubes if you change injectors, and it uses the stock Mass airflow meter (the electronics) so no re-calibration is necessary. Not saying a dyno tune wouldnt help, because it usually does on a modified EFI car, but I really think you will see a big jump in performance.

thanks alot guys ill have to try to get a fuel pump and C&L, i didn't know thta i just had to swap tubes on those if i go from 19 to 24's i would have bought one already. ok well after this thread it sounds like it should be an easy fix. I didn't realize that the stocker is only 55mm that would be restrictive especially on a 70mm TB. thanks alot guys i hope this helps me out.

what pound injectors do you have? The MAF must be calibrated to the injectors. Also stay away from c&L,, there crap! Pro-M 80MM is the way to go! Pro-M did go belly up but I think there still selling them under the same name. If not someone here will know.