14* timing on 85 octane...

I had my stang in the shop a few weeks ago and while it was there I had them adjust my timing to 14* since I didn't have a timing gun. I've been running 87 in it since then, mid grade, and a few days ago my dad drove it and filled the tank with 85. I don't hear any ping and there aren't any problems with it, can this be right? I read all over that you should run 91 octane with 14* or you'll hear deteonation. Could there be soming janked with my timing, and if not think I could go higher and just use 87 maybe?

• Sponsors (?)

all setups are different, whether its stock or not. There are no magic numbers. One thing might perform very well in one car but might have no or even adverse affects in another. If it doesnt ping, then that gas is even better than 87.

It is the altitude in colorado that make it possible, not nearly as much air enters the motor. Hell I have even accidently sprayed my 125 shot on 87 octane, my motor took it just fine, no abnormal nosies or anything.
When I Spray I run 14 advanced on race gas and 12 advanced on 91.
You can get away with a lot of stuff at this altitude but our horsepower and track times suffer for the same reason.
Octane ratings are 85,87, 91.