140 amp alt w/ 4ga power wire - Circuit breaker or fuse?

Insane3D said:
It doesn't have to be waterproof, and that was just a comment from someone who bought it. I mounted mine vertically so any water that got in there would drain out. I've been driving around and washing the motor without isse even getting the fuse and holder wet.

Also, as for buying a second fuse, those fuses are rated to last 15 seconds @ like 300% of their rating...I'd doubt you would blow that accidentally...

IMO, waterproof is not needed...
True enough, I pretty much decided the waterproof idea isn't needed for my situation - that just happens to be a feature/benefit that the circuit breaker has. Now, if those fuses are rated to last 15 sec at 450amps (300% of their rating), what exactly is the purpose of it anyhow? Wouldn't my wiring be melted by then?

Should I go w/ a lower rated fuse...like 120amps or so that blandnuts suggested? Makes sense to me, but the local stereo shop didn't offer anything lower than 150 amps.

• Sponsors (?)

I just suggest going a little lower for "more then safe" measures ;). My alternator was rated at 130amps and I have a 120amp fuse. There's people on here who are running a 150amp fuse with the same alternator.... In other words it's not a must (since you're getting the same size fuse as the alternators max), but just a suggestion....

Fred

Blandnuts said:
I just suggest going a little lower for "more then safe" measures ;). My alternator was rated at 130amps and I have a 120amp fuse. There's people on here who are running a 150amp fuse with the same alternator.... In other words it's not a must (since you're getting the same size fuse as the alternators max), but just a suggestion....

Fred
Fred, I think your thoughts are wise. I go beyond that (as I am sure you do) and choose a fuse based on the 'weakest link', which can actually be the AWG cable chosen (from alt to solenoid). if that cable cant take as much juice as the alt [theoretically can put out], I would choose a fuse for the weaker item (the cable). That was a very valid point to make Fred. :nice: