140 mph speedo in 88 lx

Wow. A daily driver with more miles than mine! Good show man. I just turned over 230,000. Don't see those wheels on a fox often either- looks good. You really had to modify that much to make the gauge work? The Mustang yard up in NH I've been buying parts at for over ten years always said they are direct fit plug and play- I figured they knew what they were talking about since they put these cars back together and resell them all the time- maybe they just wanted to sell me a gauge. That's what I get for forwarding info I didn't earn myself hands on to confirm. Always had good luck changing miles with the drill though...

• Sponsors (?)

stangbear427,

I like hearing about high mileage cars too. Thanks for the complements. I still drive it everyday about 40 miles and plan to continue until it quits or I do! It was stock until a couple of years ago, but as I replace stuff now, I upgrade. ($650 brake job upgrade lead to $550 of wheels & new tires) :D

It was not too hard to modify the speedo plastic base and the cluster. I just kept checking it to make sure it was a clean fit when filing down the turn signal area. I could do it again in probably 15 min or so.

I tried the drill speedo trick, LOL! My 140 speedo had about 80,000 miles, so it would have taken FOREVER with my drill to turn over 45,000 more miles.

plastic_cow said:
I just purchased white-faced gauges and am about to put those in, it'll upgrade my '88 LX from the 85MPH to the 140 :D I can finally see how fast I'm going now! If you want I'll let you know how the swap goes

Ummmmmmm….. You have a 140 MPH calibrated speedo to put the faces on, right?