140 mph speedo

dbdragracing

Dec 1, 2004
I have a '89 GT with the 85mph speedometer and would like to use a 140mph speedo. If I buy a whole 140mph cluster will it all just plug right into my car or will I have to just use the speedometer part? Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

It will work just be sure to get one off the right year i'm not sure what it is but I think 89-93 are the same an 88 is different due to airbags "someone confirm this one for me". Be sure to write the miles down so you can have an accurate log of what the miles on the car are for later. If you have the money and want white face gauges this would be a good time to do it. That way you wont have to take it apart again at a later date. Good luck.

It will not directly swap unless you get an '89 cluster. They are wired differently. It can be made to work with a complete rewire.

The EASIEST way to get a 140MPH speedo is to just swap the speedo mechanism and get a set of gauge faces or overlays.

You could also send ytour 85MPH unit to Brother's PErformance and they will recalibrate it for 140MPH and put a face on it.

You can set the milage correctly as well if you buy a 140MPH speedo. It requires pulling a pin and manually setting the odometer wheels. Pretty easy

i think i may do the brothers thing but im gonna buy a spare cluster so while mine is with them i can still drive and know what i am doing.

and they calibrate it for 180mph not 140:eek: