140mph gauge cluster install/circuit repair

Makdaddymac

May 28, 2005
orlando
ok i picked up a 140mph gauge today, its either from a 87-89 or something...the idea is replace my faulty oil pressure and water temp gauge and go for the upgrade on my current 85mph cluster, plus i got a good deal on it,thanks to cragislist:nice:
it has the 4 white pod things on the rihgt just like my 88's....now these are a direct swap right??my only reason for doubt is that wtf prompted ford to make 85mph and 140mph for the same year,i know about the ssp stuff but these 87-89 140's cant all be old ssp parts right??

it looks like this: only pic i could find...
http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_...?set_id=8800005007&size=19&dhm=bf0f240a&hl=en

my other question is the plastic cover/shield has some fog/haze on it.. how to go about cleaning this properly and make it look brand new.......:shrug:

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you can bolt it right in no problems. Who knows why they put 85's in them. And the lense to clear it up needs to be polished like you do on headlights and stuff. You can get them new for relatively cheap I think.,

I just put a new lense on mine from LRS for $30. The new lense is great to look through; I think a previous owner used acid and sandpaper on the old lense.

It took three times to get a lense that wasn't broken, the first two had the left tab broken off. But LRS's awsome customer service took care of it for free with no hassle.

I think the idea was to encourage people to drive slower and use less gas. :rlaugh:

As far as the cluster plastic lens goes, I'd just order a new one. They are cheap enough to not justify restoring an old beat up one, IMO.

Yes, I think that was the reason, plus the national speed limit was 55MPH so why need a speed much higher than that?

Found it!!

From what i just read, this is the 84-86 SVO speedometer. Only numbered to 85!

24260220084_large.jpg

well replacing the plastic defeats the cost, i only paid 60.00 for the cluster, and anew lense is 30.00 not worth it imo,but we will see would rather try and ruin this one before ordering a new one......

i examined the cluster closer tonight and noticed something where one of the electrical connection goes in the back.....is this going to be a problem for those that really know a cluster
; any repair ideas if neccesary or did i get scammed...

dsc00205b.jpg

By makdaddymac, shot with DSC-W50 at 2010-02-12

dsc00204qv.jpg

By makdaddymac, shot with DSC-W50 at 2010-02-12

That looks like probably the electrical feed for the temp gauge, so it probably isn't going to work right or at all. If the printed circuit on your 85MPH speed is still good, I would just swap them. Since you say some of the gauge don't work, I would bet it is bad also. The cheap way out would be to find another 85 speedo on Ebay with a good circuit. 85's are usually dirt cheap on ebay. Or maybe go to Radio shack and see if they have something to repair the broken area. I know they make repair pens with conductive ink to repair circuit board, you need something like that. Take the cluster with you and maybe the guy can point you in the right direction. Good luck on that. For the lense, is the one on your 85 any good, just swap it over too, or pick up another 85 cluster with a good lense. Or, get a plastic polishing kit like they make for headlights.

:shrug:very interesting, are the 85 and 140 circuit board swapable.would i swap the hwhole thing or what? is this circuit material copper or something that could be sodered(howeer its spelled) toghehter......i cannot find anything about a circuit pen...

also..is it possibel the gauge could function properly with this piece messed up..

ps...ill try the headligh polish both lenses are the same...

The circuit material should be very thin copper. I don't know if you could solder it or not. I don't think it would hurt to try. As far as swapping the printed circuit, just compare them and see if they are the same. I think it should be as it only provides power for the lights and gauges. The difference should be in the gauges themselves. And, no, something is not going to work right on that cluster with that broke circuit, it is just the same as a wire. Looks like it goes to the temp gauge if you follow it around. Again, check with Radio shack and see what they may have to repair it.

ok thanks for your help i see why you think its the a3, but to be 100% honest idk how to read that chart.....:shrug:

looking at it more seems that swapping the 85 circuit board is possible but i think i would mess something up and never get the circuit to lay up good on the other cluster...

my next idea would be to swap out the actual 140mph gauge(which should work cause its not a digital gauge) into the 85's cluster???ive never taken one apart that much, but i figure i can swap the oil pressure(which i know is one piece connected to the fuel gauge) which is dead on my 85. sort of take two and make one good one....

my current 85mph guage temp and volt side works but i dont think the temp is right. possible from a similar circuit board problem cause it just acts funny(aka my stragne overheating issues))...

i just need to know where to go from here....i appreciate the answers,but im hoping someone will chime in soon that has been down this road or knows a exact repair technique/material...im thinking its copper and a lil soder will do the trick, but i want to make sure so i dont make two bad cluster :(

ps. thanks cjr pony for the responses
:SNSign:

pss. do i have to worry about the fuel guage level or will it automatically adjust electronically when installed?

You should be able to swap the 140 speedo into the 85 cluster, I have done it before. It is not that hard to take the whole thing apart. Just take your time so you don't break anything. The fuel gauge should be fine as it gets it signal from a sender in the tank.