15/16" master cylinder vs 1" w/88 Booster

racerraj

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Dickson, TN
I have the Cobra Brakes in my 88 now. I just put them in from the V6 single piston 95 brakes. I have a 1 1/16" Master Cylinder now, but it's WAY TOO HARD! Was acceptable with the old brakes. Will the 1" 93 cobra Master Cylinder be enough, or should I look at getting a 10mm to 12mm and a 12mm to 10mm adapter and putting a 15/16" Master Cylinder in it. That's what they came with I believe.

I don't really want a larger Booster, Thanks for any tips.

• Sponsors (?)

I ordered the 3/2 conversion from him, and the website in PDF form. Quite useful, but it doesn't hit directly on my question. However, in researching adapters, I can't find what I would need , and I don't want to cut and reflare the lines, so it's begining to look like I'll try the 93 Cobra Master Cylinder with the 1" bore.

His website helped me tremendously when I did the conversion to the SN95 V6 brakes.

And yes, I have SN95 brakes in the rear too. Also gutted the stock Prop valve, and installed an adjustable.

Thanks,
Roger

The 1" bore should be a nice compromise. With the 15/16" bore, you may not notice too big of a difference but I think you would just be going in the opposite direction but with another problem - too much pedal travel needed to apply the brakes.

88GThatchback,

Do you still have the stock booster? Are you running a cam? I have the E-Cam, not a lot of vacuum, I was thinking of adding a Vacuum Canistor if I get the pedal feel good while it has vacuum.

Thanks again for the replies!

Mineralgsvt & 88GThatchback,
Did you notice a difference in stopping distance and/or stopping control with the 13" brakes? I didn't notice any real difference going from stock to the rear SN95 disk and SN95 Single piston fronts.

Thanks,
Roger

Racer i just switched my whole system including booster, and when i went with the disk rears i had to use a adjustable proportioning valve because the pressure needs to be different in the rear.

racerraj said:
Mineralgsvt & 88GThatchback,
Did you notice a difference in stopping distance and/or stopping control with the 13" brakes? I didn't notice any real difference going from stock to the rear SN95 disk and SN95 Single piston fronts.

Thanks,
Roger

I noticed a huge difference, but I went from stock '89 brakes to the 4 wheel disk Bullits..

Good Luck!

I now have cobra disc brakes, and i used the master cylinder off a real 93 cobra, stock 1990 booster, and my cam is more choppy than an E.
Feels good, pretty much like stock.