15" x 8" Styled Steel Wheel???

Does anybody know where I can find this size wheel besides www.mustangsplus.com ? I have talked to the tech guy there about the wheel and he said that it is a 3.75" backspace for the 8" wide, which happens to be the same backspacing for the 15" x 7" wheel. It just suprised me because I was expecting there to be more backspacing so that the 8" wide wheel would accompany more tire. Can anybody guide me a certain direction? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

GaPonyFarm - I plan on doing a 235/60/15 BFG Drag Radial. I know this tire will fit a 15" x 7" or 8" wide wheel, but I just need the necessary backspacing to fit. I know it will be a tight fit with a 3.75" backspace on either wheel and I would like to stay with the styled steel wheel look because that is what we are running right now in a 14 x 6 with 215/60/14 all the way around. Should I go with the 8" and just hope that the tire will clear the fender? Or keep looking? Thanks always

TTBullitt said:
Hey 1320stang. Thanks for the recommendation with the Stockton wheels. I didn't see any Styled Steel though. Just the Mag 500's, etc. Thanks though. I appreciate it.

Well, you gotta call them. Those are new wheels that they make. They probably have a set of Styled Steel centers off some 14" wheels that they could put on new rims at whatever backspace you want. Now this will probably cost some bucks, but you never said money was an object and this could get you exactly what you want. I believe they can strip and rechrome the centers if needed, along with the outsides if you don't want trim rings.

Hey, thanks so much 1320Stang. That is what I needed to know. I will give them a call.

So if they can custom make a 15 inch styled steel wheel, what width and backspacing should I go with for optimal tire width to fit under a stock 1965 Fastback rear with stock leafs with one inch lowering blocks and 5 lug stock drums? Thanks.

-Taylor

To make this story short...

With a custom 15 inch wheel, what backspace should I go with and what size of tire can fit on that specific backspace with stock drums and stock leafs with one inch lowering block? 235/60/15 or 275/50/15? (Has to be one of those sizes because of the limitations on the sizes of BFG Drags) I appreciate everyone's help so very much and once again, I apologize if redundancy has become a factor.

Is you're car finished? There's an old trick where you split the rear tubs and move the inner over and inch or so. I'm not sure how much you can do it and still retain the back seat, this is a mod I'm going to do on my '65 coupe. You also have to modify and reattach the trunk hinge supports. The outer tub stay attatched to the wheel opening and isn't modified, though you might want to roll your fender lip. It sounds like you want as wide a tire as you can fit and this is a way to do it. I believe the leaf springs can stay where they are, though you might have to take a grinder to the edge of them where the fat part of the tire is. Last I saw this done was on a '68 coupe with slicks, but it didn't have a back seat and the wheel wells were also modified with a BFH (Big Ford Hammer) to help square them up a bit to fit the tall slick. Your wheel well tubs have a neat little step in them and a vertical flange. The verticle flange is how they're spot welded together. You remove this and take a flat piece of metal and weld it to the steps from the tire side of the well. If you're looking at it, it's pretty self explanitory.

1320Stang - Yes, our car is a complete restoration. I appreciate the advice on providing a larger wheel well area. It seems to be pretty extensive work, but worth it if one needs to be running slicks.

I talked to Stockton Wheel, and they said that they can do a 15 x 8 with a 4.5 inch backspace with no center caps shipped to my door for $335 dollars. It seems to be pretty reasonable.

So now, the final question.....Will 235/60/15 be the best size tire for me to run in a BFG drag radial? Is a 275/50/15 entirely too wide? Thanks guys!

i did see a 67 coupe at the speed shop today with torque thrust the had a 265 with no mods to the body at all, but the guy was not there so i couldnt tell u the backspace, i also want to know myself i want 275.