15000 Service

Islander03GT

Jan 19, 2004
Simi Valley, Ca
I took my car into the dealer today for an oil change, and they asked me if I wanted the 15k service while I was in there (car has 15200 miles on it). It was $140 bucks.

I said no, don't have the cash today, just do the oil change. I then looked at the service info board.

The 15k service is the same as the 5k service (oil change, diff check, suspension lube, etc) plus a new fuel filter and "brake cleaning"

Didnt seem like it was worth an additional 120 bucks.

Should I be getting my fuel filter changed though? Brakes feel fine, so I'm not worried about them.

• Sponsors (?)

120 dollars for all that is a rip off. You can buy the motorcraft oil and oil filter for about 10 bucks plus the fuel filter for about another 15-16 bucks. Your suspension and brakes are probably fine on only 15k miles and your differential may/may not be a little low but can be topped off with probably very little fluid. IMHO, I'de change my fuel filter ever 15-20k.

their oil change rates are pretty good. and its convenient, a block from work, i drop it off and pick it up on lunch. just got the car back.

they reccomended a tire roation (will do it myself). i asked if they heard the creak in the front suspension they said no, and to bring it in mid-week to have them look at it.

if they deny that as a warranty claim, will they charge me a diagnostic fee?

Islander03GT said:
their oil change rates are pretty good. and its convenient, a block from work, i drop it off and pick it up on lunch. just got the car back.

they reccomended a tire roation (will do it myself). i asked if they heard the creak in the front suspension they said no, and to bring it in mid-week to have them look at it.

Yeah, they'll probably charge you a diagnostic fee unless if you get them to fix it, then they wont charge you anything but the price to do the fixing.

As for the fuel filter, I dont know. I need to change mine but I've been hearing you need some sort of tool to do it.

Islander03GT said:
i asked if they heard the creak in the front suspension they said no, and to bring it in mid-week to have them look at it.

You car is under warranty still so you will not be charged any fee. If they can't duplicate the concern it will be written up as a no problem found.
Fuel filter I suggest replacing every 10k miles, ford recommends 15K.

Go HoTO! said:
You don't need to change the fuel filter until about 40-50k miles. Most places charge about $40 to do it, including the filter which is about $10. To me, that's a good deal.

Depending on where you live. I seen some gas that looks like it's run through a dirty garden hose. In the case of a fuel filter, over kill is not a bad thing. You can never have gas that is to clean.

im wondering if maybe the type of gas station you use has any effect on filter life. i would think that paying more for chevron, sunoco etc would give you cleaner gas that could let the filter last longer. cheap gas i would think would have more stuff in it like sulfer trioxide etc and would then cause the filter to get dirtier faster.

There was a special on the history channel a few months back about gas. I found it extremly funny to find that all gas is the same untill it hits the station so that 20 cents more you pay a gallon at station x came down the same pipe as your walmart gas station. They add a few additives, but nothing that is really proven to do anything spectacular. The information was a lot more detailed, but now I only buy midgrade and dont give a crap what place I get it at (well there are a few dirty places I wont go to).

5.0's 4 ever said:
You car is under warranty still so you will not be charged any fee. If they can't duplicate the concern it will be written up as a no problem found.
Fuel filter I suggest replacing every 10k miles, ford recommends 15K.

thats what i like to hear.

and if they say it cant be duplicated, i'll take them for a ride so they can hear it.

the girl i was out with tonight was asking me WTF is that noise, isn't this a new car?