157 tooth or 164,

fordkid

May 28, 2007
Hey guys, thanks for recently letting me know a few things about the bigger style bellhousing. I have a question though.

I just found out the 164 tooth bellhousing is ment for going to an 11 inch clutch instead of the 10 inch clutch. well I have the 164 tooth flywheel and I have a 10 inch clutch, is that a problem? I am curiouse to how the pressure plate and the 10 inch clutch fits onto the 164 tooth flywheel,

one reason I ask if it's a problem is because ever since I have put in the tranny I have had a problem with first gear, when I take off I have to take off really slow, slower then any grandma would take off. or the whole car vibrates real bad. once I get going I can shift into second third and forth as fast as I want to with no problem. I was just assuming it was clutch chader, I have a new clutch and the flywheeel was reserfaced, so I thought I did something wrong on the install, so I took it to a shop here in town that did the rebuild for my trans, they took the tranny off looked at everything, put it back together and said I was good to go, but I still have the problem, could this be because I have miss matched parts.

Thanks
Ford Kid

• Sponsors (?)

How exactly did you get a 10" clutch to bolt to a 164t flywheel???
Is the flywheel aftermarket?
Then I suppose I could understand because they can come with a variety of bolt patterns.
OR
Are you saying you are using a 10" clutch disc inside an 11" plate?

What clutch disc are you using?
Kevlar is notorious for chatter...

Sounds like you need to give the clutch time to break-in. Or you've got a really tall rear gear too. Only way a 10" disc would fit is with an 11" pressure plate. It's only hurting you if the disc won't handle the engine's torque without slipping, otherwise leave it be.

I think the flywheel is aftermarket, there are several bolt patterns on it. Yes the clutch is Kevlar, looks like that could be my porblem. I will give it more time to settle in before I take it out again.

How can I messure the pressure plate. I remember messuring the clutch but I didn't think to messure the pressure plate.

Thanks
Ford Kid