17" backspacing ??????

reyesjo

Dec 7, 2004
Here we go Gents..

In some info.. I have the chance to buy some used Torque II wheels 6 months used almost brand new 17 X 8 with 4.5 b/s for $500.00 tires are gone.... My concern is that the backspacing ideal for a 1965-66 Mustang is 4.75 and that extra .25 will throw the rim toward the fender "not good when you want to hide the rim in the inside"... Should I buy these rims and save big bucks or should I Custom order the rims I want Smoothies II made by Boyd Coddinton for $252 bucks each..... What do you guys think?????

• Sponsors (?)

The 4.5 will work that is what I have with 245/40's on the back and 225/45's on the front. This is also with 620's in the front and Shelby Mod. The rear has reverse eye 4.5 springs. I would wait and get the Boyds because they look great and everone and their brother has tt2's.

I forgot to mention that my car is a 65 coupe. The chart listed above by Snail50 is very informative. The 4.75 is the ideal BS, however the 4.5 will work with the size tires. My wheels are the 17inch vintage 45's. Vintage Wheel Works like Boyd does custom BS. I requested 4.75 BS, but they told me that 4.5 was the most that they could do. They have sold thousands of wheels to customers through the years with Mustangs (64-66) and insisted that the 4.5 would work and they were right!