17' Cobra R wheel question

ljf0021

Founding Member
Oct 18, 2001
Fayetteville, NC
I want to buy some Cobra R (1995) rims for my car. I have 89' GT with 4 lug and with stock springs. Question, is what best I like the 17" but a guy told I will regret it, because the wheels with be chewed up on the inside by the suspension, improper wear, and tire will rub the wheel wells. I had problems on my LX coupe with 60 series with wheel well rub but have not on the GT, but they're the old turbines. I see a lot of Mustangs with these or other 17" rims, if this was a problem I don't imagine this being very popular. Any suggestions on best tire size and width to avoid this problem.

• Sponsors (?)

I just installed a set of AFS wheels too. Got them for $630 Rims / Tires / Locking Lugnuts / Mounted and balanced.

I got 17x8 front 12mm offset and 17x9 rear 24mm offset.

And have 255/40/17 on them. I had light rubbing on the front left from a sagging weather trim in the fender. I removed it and that fixed the problem.

But BEWARE of Rear quad Shocks.....Stock come close to rubbing. KYB will rub. Most say just to remove them. I didn't and got Saleen Racecraft N2's and they fit perfect.

I have 235 45's on the front w/ a 17x9 rim. The car is lowered w/ fms springs, and they do rub a little. Never had any probs w/ tire wear once my camber was set. Some guys run 17x9 out back and 17x8 up front to help w/ rubbing issues.

ljf0021 said:
It is cheaper to buy 4 lug rims than trying to change over to 5 lug. Besides the turbines have to go. On 17x8 rims can you put on 235/45 or do you have to go with less width? The dumb question what is 19mm offset?

you dont want 17X8 up front and 17X9 out back that means when its time to rotate tires u cant. :-( uwant them all the same size. i got 2003 Cobra SVT chrome rims and it rubs a little (17X9) other than that they are all good. just gotta watch that turning radius

two_stangs said:
I just installed a set of AFS wheels too. Got them for $630 Rims / Tires / Locking Lugnuts / Mounted and balanced.

I got 17x8 front 12mm offset and 17x9 rear 24mm offset.

And have 255/40/17 on them. I had light rubbing on the front left from a sagging weather trim in the fender. I removed it and that fixed the problem.

But BEWARE of Rear quad Shocks.....Stock come close to rubbing. KYB will rub. Most say just to remove them. I didn't and got Saleen Racecraft N2's and they fit perfect.

I got the same rims! size wise but no tires, yet. but what are these quade shocks? i need new ones as my drag tires rub on them!