17" pony wheels..

• Sponsors (?)

Meh. If I'm gonna blow the cash to upgrade to 17's, I want something other than a stock-looking Fox rim - preferrably something in 5-lug. A set of 17" GT rims from a '97 would be schweeeeet. :nice:

My buddy had chrome ponies for awhile on his '90 notch. After less than 6 months, the chrome started bubbling up and flaking off. :notnice: He traded 'em off for a set of 17" Cobra R's, instead - looks better, IMO, but still kinda expensive considering he coulda' swapped to 5-lugs AND scored 17's for the same price he paid for new rims and tires. :shrug:

6 months? Those wheels were either defective, just plain old or he caused it by not cleaning them properly. I couldn't see paying for those either. If I were in the market for brand new silver Ponies I'd definitely go with those over 16's.

I would love a set of powdercoated black 17x8/17x10.5" ponies though. :drool: The deep dish wheels look pretty good.

He cleaned them RELIGIOUSLY, and the car almost never even saw rain. The rims were just produced cheap. I think place was Peformance Wheel Outlet or something to that effect. They used to run full-page ads all the time in all of the Ford mags, and I heard tons of horror stories of how they screwed over other folks with cheaply-made or incorrect rims getting shipped, then refusing to replace or reimburse folks, and so forth...

Just something to bear in mind if you shoot for chromed Ponies (or any chromed rims, for that matter). If the price is cheap, you're likely to wind up with a similar experience, because you're getting what you pay for.

He cleaned them RELIGIOUSLY, and the car almost never even saw rain. The rims were just produced cheap. I think place was Peformance Wheel Outlet or something to that effect. They used to run full-page ads all the time in all of the Ford mags, and I heard tons of horror stories of how they screwed over other folks with cheaply-made or incorrect rims getting shipped, then refusing to replace or reimburse folks, and so forth...

Just something to bear in mind if you shoot for chromed Ponies (or any chromed rims, for that matter). If the price is cheap, you're likely to wind up with a similar experience, because you're getting what you pay for.
I agree, something was definitely off with those wheels. If the quality is there, chrome wheels can hold-up pretty well.

These are 5 lug wheels.

Still I dont see the point of buying wheels that look stock though.

5-lug Ponies? WHY? :scratch:

I don't get it. What's the point? If you wanna spend $800 on a set of Ponies, just buy some used OEM Ponies in good shape from someone for like $150 to $200 and then spend another $600 on a brand new set of Über-cool tires. :shrug:

These are 5 lug wheels.

Pony R's are available either 4- or 5-lug.

Still I dont see the point of buying wheels that look stock though.

Because some of us like the stealth look and want 17 by 8 wheels.

wythors2.jpg

This winter I'm planning to pop for a pair of his new 17 x 9's and put 275/40's on the rear.

Attachments

• wythors2.jpg
    wythors2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 111
Pony R's are available either 4- or 5-lug.

Because some of us like the stealth look and want 17 by 8 wheels.

wythors2.jpg

This winter I'm planning to pop for a pair of his new 17 x 9's and put 275/40's on the rear.

you plan to sell the other 2? if so pm me please when you do!

Attachments

• wythors2.jpg
    wythors2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 233
go 16x7 in the front and 17x9 in the back with some wide rubbers. that would look pretty cool.
I dunno, they just look too big. I like the way the 16" ponies fill the wells on a dropped car.