17 up front and 18s out back

rudeone707

May 17, 2003
Fairfield, Ca
So now that im coming here with 2 different perspectives, i have a question.

Why is it that the stang guys either won't or can't go 17s up front and 18s out back. Vette and Fbodies use 17/18 combos all the time without problem. Can you guys shed some light on this situation.

• Sponsors (?)

There's no rule that says you can't...it's more a matter of supply. You simply don't see many wheel combos out there with 2 17s and 2 18s.

The most important factor, is to keep the overall tire height between front and rear at a close ratio. If you don't, your ABS will stop working and will throw codes at you.

I want to do a 17 and 18 combo...but I'd much prefer a 18 and 19 combo...even more rare

I didn't do it because I didn't like how small 17's looked. If anything I would also do an 18" front 19" rear combo, but 19's aren't a very common size. If they made 19x9.5 Y2K R's I'd be all over a pair for the rear :nice:

I didn't do it because I didn't like how small 17's looked. If anything I would also do an 18" front 19" rear combo, but 19's aren't a very common size. If they made 19x9.5 Y2K R's I'd be all over a pair for the rear :nice:

exactly my thoughts. I wish I could find those rims (just the 18s) somewhere here in Canada. I really don't want to drive to the states to pick them up. And don't even think of ordering them from a Canadian source ($1300+)

I'm screwed on the tire rotation thing anyway, lol. Unless anyone thinks I can fit 315's on a 17x9 & run them in the front. :D

If an 18" or 19" Bullitt was available in 10.5" or more width, I'd be getting some for my rear (and keeping 17's up front). I want to do that because even with H&R's, the rear still looks like it needs to come down an inch or so with the 17's. A better option would be if someone came out with a tire just like mine, except with a larger sidewall. But I don't see that happening this century.

17/18 combo....doesn't really even look that different

ryh.jpg

Attachments

• ryh.jpg
    ryh.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 41