17" vs 18" Wheels (Performance Issues)

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Performance wise, what is the differance between 17" and 18" wheels? :shrug:

- Do 18" wheels throw off the speedometer? +/- how much?
- Do cars with 18" wheels have a rougher ride to them?
- Do cars with 18" wheels lose any top end speed or accelerate slower than
cars with17" wheels?
- Any tire issues with 18" wheels? IE: wheels scrape easier on curbs or anything, etc?
- What tire sizes do you guys run on 18x9" wide wheels all around?
- Any wheel-well clearance issues with 18" wheels and an 1.5" drop?

Just wondering questions like these, because i will be getting the STEEDA Ultra Lights soon, and i want to get the 18"x9" wheels all around. However, i want the car to handle great, (ungrading to steeda suspension later down the road) and i want it to be great on the highway, and i dont want any issues with my wheel selection. But the 18's look better than the 17's on the car, so i just want to know :) Any input would be helpful. Especially with from you guys with 18" wheels.

• Sponsors (?)

if you go with a lower profile tire it should not throw up your speedometer.. but you will lose traction for drag but handle better.. also 18 rim might weigh more then a 17 and that will cause you to get a lower RWHP but its not a big deal.. id rather stay 17 and get a wider rim..

99 GT's came stock with 16" so I got 17x9 275/40's all around... Overall, it's 66lbs total more than the 16" rims. That's a lot of extra rotating mass. The car was noticably slower. However, I don't think 17 to 18" will be as big of a difference...

Like WRXRacer said, if you get a lower profile tire to keep the overall height of the wheel/tire the same it won't affect anything except your launching (less sidewall).

My 18" 03' cobra wheels weigh the same as my stock Bullitts did so I didn't notice any difference in performance and IMO 18" are the perfect size & look for late model stangs...

Better 1/4mile time with 17s compare to 18s.....I personally went with 17X9 in the front and 17X10.5 in the back.....that is my personal preference. 18s look better but 17X10.5 looks mean from the back

17 wheels give you 17Hp

18 wheels give you 18Hp

Sorta like me loosing 2 mph at the 1/4 mile cause I have a R wing..............................................................rriiiiiggghhhttttt

I have 275/35/18 rear (same diameter as stock 245/45/17), and 265/35/18 in front- 18x9's all around.. The 265's rub slightly on full lock turns that while going up an incline or down a decline.
219150_91_full.jpg

219150_72_full.jpg

18"s improve handling grip significantly, but launches are made much tougher.. Depends where you want to go with the car. I won't be going to the 1/4 more than one or 2 times a year, and value handling more than hooking up off a launch, so i went with 18's.. the looks aren't bad either :nice:
Let us know any further questions

-wade

Hmmm im torn between the two now.
I would agree that 18's with a drop look PERFECT on late model mustangs. But that whole "rubbing the fenderwalls" deal and loss of traction do not appeal to me :rolleyes:

As for weight, im getting STEEDA Ultra Light 17x9 or 18x9", so i'd imagine they weigh the same or less than my stock 17x9" Bullits now :shrug:.

Question:
- Why would 18" Wheels make the car handle better??? That doens't make any sense...

UDTBadkarma said:
wow its lowered 3/4 of an inch? It looks stock ride hieght. MAN mustangs ride high!! lol. Can we get some more pics of those 18" wheels? I think your pictures are just playing tricks with my mind :crazy:

Post Pics at my other thread please: :nice:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=4553527&posted=1#post4553527
I'm getting MM coilovers for the front later. its not that high looking in person. other pics are in the site in my sig, page 7

If your afraid of loss of traction then get some drag radials. I have some 18x9 and 18x10.5 03 cobra wheels on the way, w/ bfg's 275/35/18 D/R. IMO 18's all the way on 99+. wheels wells are just too big for stockers!

I went from 16" to 18" last year. Tires have less sidewall so the steering is a LOT more responsive. Don't feel like I'm in a boat anymore. For traction reasons, I always put back the 16" rear wheels when I go to the track. On the way there, if I quickly change from one lane to the other, the front responds immidiately (still on 18") but you can easily feel the rear end springing from left to right WAY after the lane change was completed. In this case, the sidewall flex acts like a spring and it definitely takes some time before the rear end stops its sideways motion.

Only downside to 18" wheels is the tire prices. :notnice:

Hmm now i am thinking about the 17" Steeda Ultra lights...anymore arguments for me to get the 18" wheels? :shrug:

Any more performance issues/opinions?

If i drop the car 1.5", is there a way to avoid fenderwall rubbing on full lock turns? I do not want ANY performance issues with 18" wheels, or i'll get 17s. Let me know what you guys think.

It sounds to me like you have a simple choice. If road racing is your thing, get the 18s, drag racing-- 17s.

It sounds to me like drag racing is your thing, so 17s would be be better for your application, and the fact that they are cheaper is an added bonus! Kind of like a smart, funny, good-looking girl with great juggs!!!

Indiana said:
It sounds to me like you have a simple choice. If road racing is your thing, get the 18s, drag racing-- 17s.

It sounds to me like drag racing is your thing, so 17s would be be better for your application, and the fact that they are cheaper is an added bonus! Kind of like a smart, funny, good-looking girl with great juggs!!!

Ummm ok :rlaugh:
Really, i want a great highway car since i am on the highway a lot. And i think the 18's look too big and the 17's look too small :rolleyes: if THAT makes sense at all. I guess dont like the low profile tire look on the 18's, but think the 17" rims look too small. And since i want to lower the car, i dont want any wheel rubbing on the fenderwalls on turns, or loss of traction issues.

I really dont drag race at the track at all, and not that much on the street, just messing around with my friends launching from time to time.

- Do you feel LESS or MORE bumps in the road with 18"s???
- Is the car slower with 18"s (other than the weight of the wheels)

And i am getting the steeda ultra lights, so 9" wide is my max :( Otherwise i would go with 17x10.5 like my last stang had in the rear. So width is not an issue, its just 18s or 17s now...