17's on a budget

ForceFed70

That's why they call it "dope"
Founding Member
Dec 6, 1999
BC Canada
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for reccomendations on how to aquire some 17" rims on a budget. Would I be better off getting adapters and running the newer mustang bold pattern? I would prefer something simple and not too flashy. A Torque Thrust II style rim would be perfect.

Anyone know what my current 5 lug bolt pattern is? What do the newer mustangs use?

17x8" is what I'm hoping for. 18's would be even better, but from my experience cost jumps (both in rims and tires) significantly when you make the step from 17's to 18's.

• Sponsors (?)

All 5-lug Mustangs use the same bolt pattern (not 100% sure about MII, but who cares about those). The difference is the offset, and thats why you need spacers to use modern wheels on a classic Stang.

You can find brand new "take-offs" for around $500-600 if you look long enough and move fast enough. Not bad for four wheels AND tires. That low price will more than offset the spacer purchase.

Tires.com

I got 17" chrome bullets, 245/45 Nitto 555Rs, and Kumho 225/45 tires...with new lug nuts for under $1500 shipped. You can get them cheaper, but tires.com finances for 1 year without interest and gives you some other benefits with their card.

70_Nitrous_Eater said:
Well, that's a little flexible. The more it costs the longer I'll need to wait.

I'm hoping to buy everything I need (rims, tires, and adapters if needed) for $2000 Canadian. Somewhere around $1600US.

That's not really a tight budget ;)

Drive down to PA in the spring. I bought my 17x8 TTiis at Carlisle for US$800 came with caps, lugs, and valve stems. Then I picked up my Nitto 555 tires from an on-line retailer for under $500, paid a garage $40 to mount and balance and I was rolling on brand new (not second hand late model throw aways with pricey wheel adaptors :rolleyes: ) 17s for about US$1,300

There's a difference between "throw aways" and 'take offs". Although technically used, mine came with tires that had about 20 miles on them (the PO drove them from the dealership to the wheel store), they even had the little rubber stringy things :D

Adding the cost of adapters they were still considerably less than new ones from Vintage Wheel Works, the new Goodyears were basically free.

Here you go

New 5 spokes for 140$ each.www.summitracing.com part # FMS-M-1007-J178
They have a machined finish lip, and charcoal grey spokes.17 x 8 ,5x 4.5 bolt circle that we use, and 5.72" back spacing, so you will need spacers. I got mine a year ago and they are great.They also did free shipping (not sure if free shipping is still on though)They are on my 03 cobra,so they clear big brakes.
Jeff

I try to advise people to stay away from chrome if possible. The first time a dog decides to take a leak on your wheels and they are not cleaned, the rust will set in. I made that mistake with a set of Cragers!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

deskclerk9zx.gif

A lot of the tuner companies (steeda, roush, saleen, etc) sell the stock 17x8" rims they take off the new mustangs for around $1000 US for the set, including mounted tires. Plus mustangs unlimited has the same thing for $1200 I think. I'm sure there are more vendors selling them too if you look around.

I just picked up a set of 17x7's (yea I know, I wanted 8's) on ebay for 700 bucks free shipping. That was with tires mounted and balanced w/400 miles on them. There are deals, you just gotta look. If you want to get the late model mustang wheels for cheap here's a few sites off the top of my head.

www.svtperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
www.corral.net
Of course the classifieds here are good too. I'm sure you know of these sites already, but look at their classifieds. Lots of guys selling their stock take-offs for 500-600 with tires.

HistoricMustang said:
I try to advise people to stay away from chrome if possible. The first time a dog decides to take a leak on your wheels and they are not cleaned, the rust will set in. I made that mistake with a set of Cragers!

Chrome is actually a more durable finish than most if you want the really shiny smooth look. The only way they will rust is if the are chrome plated steel wheels.

I purchased a set of 17x8 94 mustang cobra rims for my 73 mustang and had to get a set of 1" wheel spacers to make them fit on the front of my car. The backspacing on most late model rims is 5.45 or greater. Because the 71-73 mustangs originally had wheels with 4.25 inches of backspacing, clearance problems occur when trying to install late model rims. I paid 400 for the rims which I got on ebay.

ultra wheels have a take off of the AR TT II's for about half the price of the AR's, check out discount tire, tire rack etc. to see what you can find. personally i would stay from the spacers if at all possible, unless you go with some of the new mach 1 wheels, i like those on the classics.

They do look good.

After doing some research, I think it want something in chrome. But that really upps the cost of the wheel. Tirerack probably wants over $200 for the same wheel with a chrome finish.